errors in streaming ppt files

• 3 Replies

Offline bobdup

• Major Guru
errors in streaming ppt files
« on: December 16, 2009, 04:23:15 PM »
Hi All,

I folowed the multiple advises from this sites and have created a screen with different ppt area

One of them are streamed as the ppt file can change everyday and need to be loaded at least one time per day
the screen loops between all the ppt and everything is ok when i got magicinfopro loaded on the server but when i close my rdc all the streamed files disapeared on the client

how can i manage this issue is their a way to launch a service on the server to manage the streamming ?

Thank's for your help

Bob

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: errors in streaming ppt files
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:19:58 PM »
Bob, you need to be careful with streaming. I agree with you, having PPT files and streaming them, then you can chaneg their contents and sve them with the same name so that you do not have to re-send them to the Library. However, you will need to have the PC running the scheduler (server) software without any disruption to the network. The screen ALWAYS has to see it. if there is any glitch (and even if it regains a network connection) the streaming process will not function and you won't even know why.

I would avoid streaming to be honest.

Regards, Bill

Offline bg

• Major Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 02:53:29 PM »
hi there,

well i experienced that when i do streaming of PPT , and just changing the file itself, and just resend it manually to the library, then it gets immediately changed on the screens. well fine.

but as you say : dont use stream , use instead the download-method , do i also have to re-publish it every time ? i think this doesnt work at all because the download method pushes the stuff to the screens once , or is there also some "renew" option so the screens are checking on the server "hey are there any new content?" ...

any ideas?

i also thought of using some "service", but as you already know if you close the RDP connection then the service is stopped and in streaming method the screens go black.

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 08:04:09 AM »
You are quite right. There is no other way other than re-publishing the template. Unless you want to manually copy the updated PPT file on to the screen itself of course (I guess that defeats the object of the exercise).

Bill