Schedule For Magicinfo pro is very very slow

• 7 Replies

Offline s.garbett

Schedule For Magicinfo pro is very very slow
« on: January 08, 2010, 12:00:29 PM »
Hi, we have 9 screens in the school, and we are setting up a Schedule for 5 days a week running from 7 till 6.

There are a lot of different screens we want to show through the day, like a message telling them when its break time and different subject photos etc.

But its taking a very long time to add a screen onto the Scheduler, it can take 1 to 2 mins for the add button to come up and then another 3 to 4 mins for the screen to be loaded.

Is there any way this can be made quicker? Why is this program so slow?

Any advice and help would be well appreciated

Thanks Steve

Offline bhonda

Re: Schedule For Magicinfo pro is very very slow
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:38:52 PM »
We are having the same problem.  We only have one screen, but it seems if we add a large number of items to the scheduler, the scheduler becomes insufferably slow.

We have only a small handful of presentations, but run them on a relatively short cycle (30 minutes).  We may schedule the same set of slides for a few weeks, and we schedule the slides from about 7am to 11pm (2 shifts).

As we add to scheduler, the process gets progressively slower.  It appears as the number of entries increases, so does the time it takes to add or edit an entry.

Steve - did you find a solution?  Or does anyone have an ideas.

Thanks
Brian

Offline fluidium

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 08:40:06 PM »
Hi, this has been highlighted a few times in the past-I think the solution with Magicinfo-I was to make the database mysql so it would work more efficiently. Someone posted today there may be a new version of Magicinfo Pro coming out from Samsung soon so if they have been listening to user feedback on here then hopefully they will have addressed the issue and changed the database format.

I have found the problem myself when trying to put too many different schedules into one week the database slows to a ridiculous crawl and sometimes entries appear to get corrupted.

The other major mod I was hoping for was for weekends to be included on the scheduling options-it would make it so much easier than having to turn off the screen timers every Friday then remember to re-enable them all on Monday  ???  ::) :(

Offline bhonda

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »
Fluidium, thanks for the feedback.  I think I also discovered another problem.  I went to our MagicInfo Pro user's PC and I looked at the database file. The schedule was only about 600 records.  I logged into MagicInfo Pro to look at the schedule and it took several minutes for the schedule to load.  Trying to edit the schedule seemed to take a few minutes per change.  The MagicInfoPro.exe process was not using a lot of processor, and the total processor usage was only about 20%.  But I could hear the hard drive churning from time to time.

Just as a test, I turned of the Antivirus protection (disabled Auto-Protect).  After this, the MagicInfo Pro allowed me to edit the schedule with no delay.  So it appears there is some sort of conflict between the MagicInfo Pro and our antivirus package (Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition version 10.1.6.6000). 

Hope this info helps.

Offline fluidium

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 08:03:21 AM »
Thanks bhonda-I will give it a go  ;)

Offline JCBowser

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 10:16:14 AM »
We have the same problem. Changing anything on the schedule screen is incredible slow.
We don't have a lot of items - just one morning and afternoon repeating item for each workday of the week, so 10 items in total.
It's been driving me mad, but I have found that switching the wireless off (yes, the server is wireless laptop so we can update anywhere  :P) while I update the schedule means there is zero delay, rather than the 60-120 seconds delay *for each button click* that I was getting before. Unfortunately I have to reboot the laptop to regain decent connectivity to screen, but this can be done quicker than a couple of button presses would take otherwise...

Rebuilding the server install worked briefly but bad behaviour returned soon after :(

FYI we're using Kaspersky, not Symantec, but I will test without AV when I get a few minutes to see how we get on.

Offline serge

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 03:42:12 PM »
Did you resolve your problem?
I'm having the same problem, I removed the AV but no luck.
Thanks
Serge

Offline TLCB

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 02:12:51 PM »
We don't have a virusscanner and the schedule is also very slow.
it takes sometimes more then a minute between every mouseclick...

Anyone ?