How do I troubleshoot a screen that drops out?

• 2 Replies

Offline oneseventeen

How do I troubleshoot a screen that drops out?
« on: December 02, 2009, 07:48:25 PM »
We have a single monitor with MagicInfo Pro on it named "watch"
We have a single screen that displays a web page for 24 hours at a time, named "WATCH"
We have a schedule to run the WATCH screen for 24 hours on the watch monitor, which will end late next year.

The Monitor is set to run MagicInfo and connect to the server for a schedule.

If I publish the schedule, the monitor immediately plays the schedule and it works great.

At random intervals (sometimes a day or two, sometimes a week) the monitor will stop displaying the web page and will only display the MagicInfo globe animation.
Rebooting the monitor does not fix it.

The monitor is always shown as connected to the MagicInfoPro server, so I just re-publish the schedule and it works again.

How do I begin troubleshooting to find out where the problem is?  I've noticed the server computer reboots after Windows updates, but that shouldn't do it, should it?

Someone mentioned I might be able to have the monitor default to displaying this web page full screen without needing a server, is that possible?

Offline oneseventeen

Re: How do I troubleshoot a screen that drops out?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 08:28:29 PM »
I hate to "bump" threads, but it has been quite a while and we still haven't had our MagicInfo Pro screen successfully show a web page for longer than a week or two straight.

We have a room with a large display running MagicInfo Pro that has volunteers in there at random times of the day (our goal is to eventually have people in there 24 hours a day) and the main focal point is the information displayed on this screen.

I receive random reports of the screen going black or displaying the rotating globe magicInfo logo page.  Sometimes this will be a day after resetting the screen, sometimes it will be a week after.  Our schedule is set to run for 24 hours at a time, and it is scheduled for 1 year.

I realize I may have done something in the setup (I have looked through the slides linked at the top of these forums, read online manuals, and posted here.), but I'd love to figure out how to troubleshoot my mistake.

We only need this particular website displayed 24/7, so hardcoding it would be acceptable, but I'd rather fix my mistake and have it work rock-solid.

Ideas on first steps I should take?  I'm happy to provide any config settings and info that would help point me in the right direction.

Offline causeality

Re: How do I troubleshoot a screen that drops out?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:49:48 PM »
Hello, like all computers sometimes the application might have a glitch running 24 hours a day non-stop. I would suggest setting the screen timer to turn the unit off for at least 5 mins a day to give it a chance to flush memory and reset. Maybe you could set the screen to go off early morning when there is a shift change or something. Using the timer shuts down and restarts the pc for you. If you have the client set to get schedules from the server and it losses connection it will not be able to update the schedule. Check the schedule on the client D drive with notepad to make sure it is correctly written..