- Logged in with the default password
 - Under the server tab > added server IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx along with port 7001

On the server I browse to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:7001/MagicInfo
> Device tab > View & Approve devices
 Client showed up
 Approved device
 Can VNC into the remote device
 Had to leave the office for the remainder of the day

I came back the next day to see that that the communication between the server and the client is now disconnected
I verified the client still has the correct configuration to communicate with the server
Decided to remove device from the server list (as it was listed as disconnected)
Tried to add the device back but it wasn't showing up under unapproved devices

At this point I called Samsung - MagicInfo
Verified settings with the tier one tech
Had me check the following:
Firewall Disabled on Server
Firewall Disabled on Client
Technician told me that I need to talk to a tier 2 tech

Checked the following settings (time and time zone weren't the same - Changed to be identical on server and client)
I can ping the server from the client and the client can ping the server (the devices are on the same IP subnet)
On the client - I can browse to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:7001/MagicInfo
So the communication between the two seems fine

Tier 2 tech told me that I should check the port settings on the network to see if any are blocked
Verified for a fact that our switch (the only thing between the server and the client) does not have port filtering so all ports are open
I also checked the ports by making telnet session from the client to the server for the following ports:
17001-17100 (17009 worked)

All ports I was able to telnet to except for 7002 (7002 blocked but we aren't using the SSL settings)

On the server, I ran netstat -a >C:\netstat.log
All ports are listening on the server aside from 7002

Decided to reinstall the client software
 Added correct configuration
 Still I'm not able to communicate with the server
 (Icon is still greyed out saying it isn't establishing communication with the server)

Called back for support and informed them that the ports were all open outside of 7002 in which I'm not using.
A different tier 2 tech told me to do the following:
Since my client isn't on the domain, he suggested that I add it to the domain. (There are reasons as to why we didn't want it on the domain)
Told me to call back if this didn't fix the problem
Joined it to the domain and ran EWF
Tested connection. I'm still not able to detect it on the server.

I also want to note that all the changes I'm making on the client, I run EWF afterwords to save the settings.
Windows Embedded Standard is the OS on the client and the server is Windows Server 2008 R2

I'm at a loss as to why I can no longer communicate between the two. It worked initially but the very next day it no longer worked. The tech support at MagicInfo doesn't seem to helpful (at least tier 1 or 2) and thought I'd try on here to see if anyone else ran into this issue or might have a better solution to getting the devices to communicate again.

If I'm missing any information that would help you guys diagnose my issue, let me know and I can add it to this post.

Thanks everyone.

Offline shawn.evans

Re: Client and server won't communicate
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:10:12 PM »
We are experiencing these same issues.  We have recently purchased 2 displays with plans to purchase up to 15 for our facility.  We can't move forward until this problem is resolved.  I've tried everything that I know of.  The only thing that I haven't tried is download MDC Program for LFD Products from their website, which supposedly may fix due to a time issue between the client and server.

Offline Texas711

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 03:54:47 PM »
Make sure the postgresql database is still running. In Control Panel, Administrative tools, Services.  Mine needed to be changed so that " log on as" showed Local System or Network System otherwise the database would not restart when the computer was rebooted.

Offline samwieda

• Mega Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:04:26 AM »
what typ of player are you using and display are you using?

Offline Kigaa

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »
Device Information
TV Model: LH40HBPLBC /ZA
MagicInfo Device: SBB-SMDTBD /ZA

Server: MagicInfo-i Premium (Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit)
Client running Windows Embedded

Last week I updated the server to the newest addition, along with the most recent PostgreSQL I downloaded the most recent versions from MagicInfo/Samsung (http://samsung.brawnconsulting.com/page/magicinfo-training-downloads)
- PostgreSQL 8.3
- MagicInfo-i Premium Client 1100.4 (Newest Available)
- MagicInfo-i Premium Edition Server V1.0 Build NA-MIIPS-1100.2 (Newest available)

Configured correctly, following the pdf guide step-by-step. I even disabled Symantec EndPoint Protection and Forefront on the server (the client doesn't have AV and the firewall is disabled on both client and server. There are no ports being blocked on the switch/server internally other than SSL (7002), which I configured MagicInfo not to use SSL. I'm still unable to get the server to recognize the client. I even searched devices by IP address and am not able to detect the client. Is it possible that there is a hardware issue? I mean, it showed up on day one (roughly a month ago) and ever since then I haven't been able to get it to detect the server. I've already spent at least 12 hours trying solutions, reinstalling, calling their techs and after every solution I've been given, it still doesn't show up in the unapproved devices page. Any suggestions or recommendations? Should I try to get the client replaced?

Offline Kigaa

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:29:45 PM »

Setup Laptop with PostgreSQL 8.3 and MagicInfo-i Premium Edition Server V1.0 Build NA-MIIPS-1100.2
Configured IP Settings
Laptop: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (testing server)
Client: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Changed IP informatioon on MagicInfo client/server communication application

Pinged between the two devices <Success>
Tried to add device through MagicInfo Server (laptop)
Device doesn’t show up
Manually scan for the device by plugging in its IP subnet (range)
Doesn’t find the device

Telnet on port 7001 to the server from both the server and the client
Telnet connections both successful

Called MagicInfo
Discuss with Tier 2 tech everything that I’ve done so far
Verified port openings internally
Disabled Firewall settings and anti-virus application

Asked me to use a crossover cable and to make sure both devices are on the same IP subnet when directly connected to the devices.
Created a crossover cable
Kept existing IP scheme that is on the same subnet
Changed Gateway Information

Pinged and telnet between the two devices – Success
(From laptop (server) to thin client and vice-versa)

Tried to add device on the server – Doesn’t detect the client

--- Called back to MagicInfo
Spoke to same tech in which asked for the model of both the TV and thin-client
He decided he was going to replicate the setup at his office

Called MagicInfo back:
He too could not get the device to show up with a crossover cable and also with a straight-through cables using a switch.

He said that he did it before but using an older server/client version and that they probably took that feature out of this newer update

He said that the reason why it’s not working is that it needs to get out of the network to the Internet first before it can communicate (???) I informed him that it should not work like that and the devices should be able to communicate internally as long as they’re on the same subnet.

He wants me to check the external firewall to see if traffic is being blocked that could be preventing the two devices from communicating between each other.

Any advice? At this point, this software seems to be poorly designed or just in it's early development cycle...

Offline samwieda

• Mega Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 02:02:54 PM »
try once if the screen is communication with the pc module.

1. Connect from the PC Module to this webpage:
http://127.0.0.1:37001/rdc?cmd=get&id=status

Please post then the content of the webpage you get.

2. Connect from the PC Module to this webpage:
http://magicinfoserver:7001/MagciInfo

do you get the login page of the server?

Offline Recky

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
Having the same issue after upgrading to the lastest version  (i came all the way from 1006.5 and now running 1100.3 server with 1100.9 clients)

Also funny new feature : when I rightclick --> about on the client in the systray, the client shuts down.  (??)

Offline BiffTannen

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 09:28:15 AM »
Was there ever a solution to this problem? I am having exactly the same issue with our client device communicating with the server.

There is an icon that shows one unapproved device in the browser - but when I search for devices via IP nothing shows up.

We configured the client with the correct server IP, can ping/telnet between the client and server, they are on the same subnet, both can get out to the internet, can connect to the MagicInfo web portal on the client, emptied the log files, disabled the firewall on both client and server - so far nothing...

Offline samwieda

• Mega Guru
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »
Hi BiffTannen
What device are you connecting and what LFD ? are you using a SBB PC Module?

It looks like there is an issue with licenses. if you see the green dot with device but not visible under unapproved devices, the SBB/PIM does not communicate correctly with the screen.

can you share more details about screen, SBB/PIM, cables and ports you are using?

Cheers,