Weather Application in Magic Info Pro

• 9 Replies

Offline JennW

Weather Application in Magic Info Pro
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:10:36 PM »
Hi there,

I'm a new user and have been learning as I go.
I want to add a weather application ( preferrably theweathernetwork). I tried using an RSS feed but all that comes up when I preview is a black box with text (i.e. Current weather, March 3rd, 2010... and thats it!).

Now, I really like the look of weather icons that you can install on your computer desktop from a weather website, and I want to know if it is possible to do so for MagicInfo Pro.

I also tried doing web slices from the actual The Weather Network website, but it is not the look that I am going for, and it doesn't resize to the size I want it on the screens.

Can someone help me please????  :)

Thanks in advance!
Jenn

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: Weather Application in Magic Info Pro
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:22:09 PM »
Hello Jenn

we tried this ourselves but spent hours attempting to find a nice looking .swf to show the weather. We found that the ones on the web weren't very reliable or in fact that accurate and often it would be raining outside when the screen said it was fine or vice versa. We decided to use an RSS weather feed from the BBC as it proved most accurate and simply incorporated it into a web page on our web server with our own background images and added it to the cycle of information so it was not always on the screen. This seemed to stop people complaining and proved to be the most useful solution for our environment  ;)

EricL

Offline JennW

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:34:30 PM »
Thank you EricL,

Another question....
Is there a way to get the weather bilingual in an RSS feed??

Thanks again for your help!

Jenn

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:43:37 PM »
I use the weather from the BBC and also 'pan' the web site the weather is on. You can use Magicinfo pro to do that. What I mean is to get part of the web site on the screen, like the BBC iPlayer. You cannot scale a web site, but you can have offsetts and point to a specific part of the web site.

When I get to know how to enter and blooming image on this forum, I will post it for you all my screen shots.

Bill

Offline JennW

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 07:09:55 PM »
Thanks Bill!

I await the image!

Cheers,
Jenn

Offline mvision

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 12:18:45 AM »
Hi,

We designed our own generator, using flash which grabs the weather for Australian cities only at the moment.

http://digitalsignagehelp.com/mvweather/

If you look around you may be able to find something similar in your area, we may be making it world wide soon. This looks great in MagicInfo.

Matt

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 08:08:58 PM »
Ok here is the BBC weather chart for London. You need to get the appropriate URL to your location and that's it!

(http://)

Bill

Offline bthompson

• Major Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
damn that is awsome, I want that but for my area lol

Offline gidds

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 01:11:48 PM »
that is to cool but how did you do it?

Offline Stringer

• Major Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 02:45:47 PM »
that is to cool but how did you do it?

quite simple, go to the BBC Weather home page and search for your city's forecast.  On the page that proceeds, you will have a 5 day forecast widget with an "embed" button at the bottom.  Click this and in the little pop-up window you will have an embed piece of code something like this:

<iframe src="http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/8/Next3DaysEmbed.xhtml?target=_parent" allowTransparency="true" width="306" height="435" frameborder="0">You must have a browser that supports iframes to view the BBC weather forecast</iframe>

What you need is the url bit in quotes after the "src=" which you can put into the "website" bit of web item on your screen which should give you a 3 day forecast.  There are other weather widgets which could do a similar thing with on the same page.

Hope that helps.

Also, note the height and width values provided!  ;)