Server Cannot See Screen

• 4 Replies

Offline smudgess

• Super Guru
Server Cannot See Screen
« on: March 17, 2010, 10:21:51 AM »
Further to last posting here's a more in depth description of our problem.  Thank you to those who have tried to help so far.

We have 5 screens and 4 of them come off the same switch and on the same VLAN and also the MagicInfo server is on this same switch and VLAN.

The 5th screen is in a separate area, and doesn't have a direct cable from the above switch so needs to go across the core Cisco 3750 router. I have allowed the screen VLAn traffic to the 5th screens switch and allowed the VLAN traffic through the port that the screen hangs off, so it gets the right IP address (DHCP). On the interface on the router, I just have a DHCP helper address and that's it.

I can obviously ping the magicInfo server from the screen and can ping the screen from the server so I suspect that the Screen is not able to broadcast across the router so I have manually put the MagicInfo server IP address in the setup so the screen can find it without broadcasting.

But the Server cannot see the screen. Does this shed any light on it?

Firewall is turned off at both ends

I'm not a Cisco guru by any means so have tried to add the following to the interface on the router

Info: Server is 10.3.85.99
Info: Screen is 10.3.85.8

On router:

interface Vlan11
 description Zone_six
 ip address 10.3.85.254 255.255.255.0
 ip helper-address 10.3.4.2
 ip directed-broadcast 100

access-list 100 permit tcp host 10.3.85.8 any eq 53001 access-list 100 permit tcp host 10.3.85.8 any eq 52000 access-list 100 permit tcp host 10.3.85.8 any eq 51000 access-list 100 permit udp host 10.3.85.8 any eq 55001 access-list 100 permit udp host 10.3.85.8 any eq 5353

The protocols have been supplied by Samsung-fix.com:
Target : Sever, Content Server, MagicInfo Client Open Ports TCP : For Data download and Control Signalling 51000 : Data Download Port (FTP) 52000 : Data Streaming Port
53001 : Control Data Port (MDC)

UDP : For connecting the clients
5353 : DHCP Connection Port (Multi Cast Port)
55001 : Direct Connection Port

Appreciate any help

Offline L

• Major Guru
Re: Server Cannot See Screen
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:50:48 PM »
Hi,

Don't rule out a hardware problem.  I have connection issues with my units that are/were connector and network card related.  See replies to earlier post "Magic info pro does not show connection" for more details.

Good luck.

Lisa

Offline HandyMAN

• Major Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:04:37 PM »
If you can run MagicInfo Pro on your laptop, test this local to the 5th screen on the local VLAN.
Change the Server Ip on the screen to look for the laptop.

If the laptop can see the screen its a Cisco Routing issue, and if not then consider reinstalling the MagicInfo on the screen.

Hope this helps.

Offline gb_at_igz

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »
Hi,

I actually cannot help you directly with that but we have merely the same problem -  similar configuration, instead of a Cisco Router we have an Astaro Router/Firewall. Obviously, the named ports (TCP and UDP) are NOT sufficient for the communication. When we observe the traffic between screen and server (using the well-known and excellent freeware "Wireshark", just google for it -simple to set up and use), there are numerous more IP packets with varying numbers that are exchanged between server and screen. I tried to evaluate this in more detail but was not successful so far - I am not a network guy ..

If we configure the router as completely transparent between the two subnets (which I do not recommend due to security issues) and also shut down the windows firewall on the server PC, everything works fine. Screen and Server can find themselves.

If we start MagicInfo Pro, let it find the screen, and then start the windows firewall (of course, with the ports you named as being open), still everything is fine. The server finds the screen, all (including uploads to the screen) works perfectly.

If we start the Windows firewall BEFORE we start MagicInfoPro, we have the same effect that you have - the server does not find the screen. And again, in the windows firewall, the named ports are all still OPEN.

This means that MagicInfoPro on the server PC uses some additional TCP/UDP ports for finding the screens during the startup of the software. As soon as it has found the screen, those additional ports are no longer used or necessary.

Those ports are not the multicast protocol packets (MCPs) which you will find in a Wireshark analysis, since they usually do not go across routers (only few routers support multicast routing, mostly when Apple protocols (Bonjour) come into play).

You now need to find out the right TCP and UDP ports - I still hope that Samsung can tell us which they are -. add them to your Cisco router configuration, and everything will be fine.

Maybe you can identify them with Wireshark - would be great if you can post them when you are successful.

Sincerely

Gerald

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 07:32:09 PM »
It's difficult to identify a solution for every different network. What I'd suggest is that you use the latest software and firmware of your switches. Magicinfo pro is very blunt I am afraid - it does not like port forwarding or VLANs. I'd suggest that you use a Direct IP conenction as opposed to using server name.

I have a 1GB managed switch (Linksys) and that caused me all sort of problems, but by upgrading its firmware and my surpise all just worked!

Bill