Source area- PC/HDMI/S-video/etc. How to?

• 5 Replies

Offline 460FPN2

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Source area- PC/HDMI/S-video/etc. How to?
« on: March 18, 2010, 09:16:19 PM »
One of the areas you can add is called Source, which gives you the option of HDMI, S-Video, PC, etc.  How can I get this to work? Is this something that has to be plugged in to the Samsung TV or a capture card in the server computer? I would like to have live TV or maybe a live video camera feed.
(I tried the capture card method and I couldn't get it to work.)

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: Source area- PC/HDMI/S-video/etc. How to?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:57:26 PM »
Hi, the source is an external input going into one of the sockets on the bottom of the screen. We send a freesat hd hdmi signal into ours. You choose the source you want to use from the options when designing your screen file. You can choose the size you want by increasing or decreasing the area. You can of course choose different sources at different times in your schedule-eg composite-video camera input/hdmi-freesat hd/component-dvd player etc.

Not all screens accept an external source, I know the DXn ones do..

EricL

Offline 460FPN2

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 07:00:22 PM »
great info thanks! I will try it!

Offline 460FPN2

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 05:52:04 PM »
actually...i have another question.
Say I have 5 of these TVs and only one live camera that I want displayed on all of them.  This doesn't work out because the camera would have to be plugged into 5 TVs. There needs to be a way to stream the camera to all the TVs. I suppose you are stuck with needing a camera that can get onto the internet and stream to a website, so the TVs can pick it up that way.

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 07:50:40 PM »
Do your model of display have a composite video input? If they do then you could connect them together using coax cable and a video amp/splitter or even composite over cat5 adapters. This would give you pictures that are perfectly synced together. Streaming video to each screen may cause the audio or video to fall out of sync with each other. This is not a problem if they are spaced well apart. The other option is to use them as a pseudo video wall connecting the rs232 serial ports together to carry the content to each screen. Not sure if the displays you have can do that though. Again it would require them to be cabled together in some way.

At the end of the day, having re-read your question, maybe a web-cam showing on a web page area could be the easiest/cheapest solution if you are only going to show video with no sound..  The issue then would be that the displayed video would most likely be delayed compared to the live source,,, ho hum  :-\

EricL

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 10:16:41 AM »
You can always use a web cam and deliver its URL to any of the screens. There are free web cam software that you can use, eg webcamXP. This is the only way to "stream" camera. You cannot use a capture card and then distributed over the LAN for the Samsung monitors. Technology doesn't allow this.

Bill