What future for MI displays running Windows XP Embedded?

• 3 Replies

Offline violetlobster

What future for MI displays running Windows XP Embedded?
« on: April 17, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts about how systems with some displays running WinXP Embedded will degrade, now that XP has reached its end of life, and is unsupported?

For those of us using MI to pull in web content from external sites, are we going to become limited to displaying only web content that will work on an outdated version of IE, that works on WinXP?

That feels like a recipe for disaster.  :(

Offline isabolovic

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: What future for MI displays running Windows XP Embedded?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 09:46:34 PM »
Hi,

Most of SBB/PIM MagicInfo players were shipped with Windows Embedded Standard 2009 (XP kernel) for which extended support ends on January 8th 2019.
Regarding IE, latest version supported on WES2009 is 8. You can install Firefox, Opera or Chrome if you need up to date web browser, but still there will be some limitations.

Regards,
Ivan

Offline 460FPN2

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 05:35:41 PM »
I could be incorrect, but I've noticed that the web content from external sites is NOT dependent on the version of IE installed on the SBB, it's the version of the client software installed. I mentioned in another thread that the Livestream website will not play in magicinfo, even though I had the newest IE browser installed and it worked fine in the browser. Now that I have the new version 2004, I am going to re-test this and see if my theory is correct.

Offline violetlobster

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:44:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies.