Message character limitation

• 9 Replies

Offline judson

Message character limitation
« on: June 11, 2014, 09:30:32 PM »
Hello all, We are in the process of trying to upgrade our MagicInfo Pro to the newer web based v.2.0.  We have a very simple set up with 4 displays.  We play a slideshow picture set and then a message ticker at the bottom.  The message ticker is changed daily. 

The problem I have is that the new software placed a restriction of only 200 characters.  We always are beyond that limit, making this new software unusable to us.  I wondered if there's another way.  I need for a non-technical person to be able to go in and update this message each morning.  Any ideas?

I realize that there is a possibility of using RSS feeds, but this requires Author and also an RSS source.  This seems a bit much for just something that was so simple in the old version.  Thanks for your replies.

Offline 460FPN2

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: Message character limitation
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 09:54:39 PM »
I see your problem and I've figured out a way to get around it.
1- Insert a text element. Change the properties for Word Wrap to TRUE. Type a bunch of stuff. You'll see the text element will automatically enlarge itself to fit more text. This is OK, because we'll change it later.
2- Finish typing long message. Change Word Wrap to FALSE. You'll see the text change to be one line with the rest of the text hidden. Resize this to whatever you want.
3- be sure to set an Animation Direction for the text. (right to left is the usual choice here)

Offline judson

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 10:11:30 PM »
I'm not sure this answers my question.  It sounds like you are referring to working inside Author.  I don't believe this limitations exists within Author that i'm aware of.  I'm looking for a way for a user to update this message daily without having to modify an LFD file every day and then republish the entire thing to all of the displays.

Offline 460FPN2

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 10:16:34 PM »
yes, i was using Author, sorry I did not read clearly that you didn't want to use Author. Maybe someone else can help.

Offline judson

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 10:21:10 PM »
No worries, thank you for your reply.

Offline 460FPN2

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 05:27:35 PM »
i wonder if there is a way to edit the message limit in the server itself, like editing the webpage?
if you go to the magicinfo premium folder on the server, then schedule, then message, you'll see a bunch of JSP files you can edit in notepad..i see this: <spring:message javaScriptEscape='true' code='message.common.max_200'/>"; maybe you can change that to a larger number.

Offline judson

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 06:07:58 PM »
That would be awesome if it were that simple.  It's worth a shot, I will try it and let you know.  I just don't understand why that limitation is in place, I can't be the only person that struggles with that.

Offline 460FPN2

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »
well i tried changing just that one line to 400 and it didn't work, it made the webpage hang. Changed it back to 200 and now it's fine. (It was the message_setting.jsp file.) Maybe someone else with skills in java would know more, or there is a protection built in to prevent editing.

Offline judson

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 04:11:41 PM »
Yea, yesterday I changed mine to 1000.  There were two places that I changed from 200 to 1000.  Restarted the services, and then I was actually able to create a message up to 1000 characters.  All seemed promising, but then when trying to publish to the display, nothing happened.  I changed it back to 200 and it worked again.  Then this morning, I thought i'd try it again and set it to 800.  Now I get the page hanging issue.  Strange.

Offline 460FPN2

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »
so it turns out the first value we changed is actually just for the pop-up message that references another file called messages.properties in magicinfo premium/server/uploader/editor/resource.  the second value, i'm not sure.