New 520DXn SSD is corrupted, need instructions to reflash

• 4 Replies

Offline theman192

New 520DXn SSD is corrupted, need instructions to reflash
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:32:36 PM »
I'm new to this forum, but not the MagicInfo Pro.  It seems a brand new out of the box 520DXn has it's c: partition corrupted, and I thought I would try reflashing the whole thing, before seeking out service.  Right now I'm in a continious loop of boot, then try to start XP and dropdown into DSKCHK, then reboot etc....

I went out and found instructions for creating a bootable USB, I downloaded the lastest OS "M-LEOXPE04HTS_1010.0.SFI" from the support site along with the sfim2_64 program which I believe does the flashing.

All I'm missing I hope is how to get into the advanced BIOS and change the 520DXn boot sequence so I will try the USB first or after the PXI attempt.  Any help anyone can share that has done this before would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm assuming that once I successfully re-flash the box, it will look and have everything that it is suppose to have out of the box.  Can anyone confirm that as well, or will I need to add things like the Client software and VNC etc?

I hope someone see's this today, as I really need to get this running if possible before a grand opening on Thurday, which is cutting it pretty close.

Thanks

Offline London-I

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
  • FLY ME!
Re: New 520DXn SSD is corrupted, need instructions to reflash
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »
Hi, looks like you are doing everything right, the image should have the client software on it, and it should re-image the screen as it would have been "out of the box".

We have done this in the past with a couple of 460 DXN screens and it worked fine. Any problems get on the phone to Samsung support  :)

In fact I would speak to them first anyway just to check it's not something simple-you never know [fingers crossed].

Offline theman192

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:02:19 PM »
Follow-up to post.  I was successful in getting the 520DXn re-flashed with the SFI file downloaded from Samsung.  It has a few more things than needed, but once I found the software under the \samsung directory, for Magicinfo Pro I was able to get everything working fine.  It came with Client version 3001 and I patched it to version 3003.  Due to another problem that I will post seperately.

The biggest challenge was creating a bootable USB drive. Both Samsung and HP offer software to do that but you need to find a source for the DOS files, since if they exist on XP, I don't know where to find them.  You need command.com, io.sys and msdos.sys which I finally found out on the internet.  They should have been bundled with samsung's format tool.

The documentation for flashing using the "sfim2_64" tool could be a little better detailed. I first verified the sfi file then flashed.  The following were the two command lines used from the USB directory where I had both the flash tool and the OS file, after booting to DOS.

c:\magicpro\xpos> sfim2_64 /v:1 m-leox~1.sfi  - This verifed and created a Checksum against the download sfi file, it took 4-5 minutes
c:\magicpro\xpos> sfim2_64 /r:1 m-leox~1.sfi - This did the actual "restore" and flashed the 2 partitions on the monitor, again 4-5 minutes.

This is probably more info than most want but could help someone down the road.

Offline London-I

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
  • FLY ME!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 06:08:24 PM »
Glad you got it going :-)

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing!

EricL