Upgrading server advantages

• 5 Replies

Offline Lsharp

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Upgrading server advantages
« on: January 08, 2015, 10:19:53 AM »
Hey,
I currently have a Magicinfo v2005 server running and am planning to upgrade to the latest 3004.5 build. I noticed that the price for MagicInfo premium-s v3 is significantly higher than the MagicInfo premium-s v2 license.

My question therefor is, can I use a v2 license on a v3 server and what are the main advantages of purchasing a v3 license instead of using my current v2 license?

Kind regards

Offline sardarofl

• Super Guru
Re: Upgrading server advantages
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 03:48:52 PM »
Yes you will need to upgrade the license, the process is different from each country but in my case I have to contact Samsung's support in my country to upgrade them for me.

Upgrading to S2 is not just the license, the screen itself should be the new series (Example: DB series) that uses the new samsung signage platform that have the new S2 player instead of the S, so if you have the current version of server working fine an upgrade is not recommended. you can upgrade in the same line for 200.X, it still have the support from Samsung and they are making update patches for it.

The S2 is better than normal S in the following:
- Webpage support
- png images, was a pain adding a logo with white space around it
- The interface is more neat and friendly
- Didn't try yet but new touch overlays can be attached to support interactive content flash.

for further details feel free to feedback ^^

Offline Lsharp

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 04:13:26 PM »
Hey sardarofl, thanks for the info, we have a showroom at our office that we recently upgraded to dm and dh screens (s2 SoC).
So I'd like to upgrade to version 3 server, I can use 2 SBB's with MagicInfo-I player v3 for the 2 old screens (s1 SoC) I assume.

I still need to know the biggest advantages to a v3 server compared to a v2 server to convince the board to allow this purchase.

Offline sardarofl

• Super Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 04:44:17 PM »
There is a supreme feature, you can on S2 remote control the screen and view it from the server, this will allow you to see the current playing content live, and you will have an on screen remote control allowing you to remote control the screen as if you are standing infront of it with the remote.
I found this feature very great, since we always used to say to the clients if you want a remote access you will only have the external player option and use VNC for S you can't see or access the screen.

also on Version 3 (server) there is an on web author, it surely have many options cropped unlike the author but at least you can access it from anywhere (Network or internet if you have a real IP for the server) and get a job done

Also as an S2 you can use it to create a video wall, but you will have to have a license for every screen on the video wall

Offline Lsharp

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 08:52:40 AM »
That is huge indeed, tahnks so much sardarofl!

one other thing, I noticed you say you manage different locations of MagicInfo, I was wondering if this is done via V-LAN, since I found an old spec sheet saying the monitors need to be in the same subnet. (see attachment)

Hello I am also going to update from version 200.4 to 300.3 controlling 43 screen in 4 different countries
I've did test and simulations before doing the upgrade (will post here after finishing the process what happened but this may take long)

Offline sardarofl

• Super Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 01:43:26 PM »
Not only V-Lan, What you can do is that the server will have either a Dynamic DNS or a static global IP.
I've got two live cases of controlling with the server globaly:

- case 1: A hosting company is hosting for me a Virtual machine with a real IP. Installed the Magicinfo server on it then from the clients (either internal S/Lite or external I-Players) (Connected to the internet) I put the Real Ip of the server.
After that I access the server and approve them and start uploading my content, the speed of upload and download will depend on the connection speed of the server and the client.

- case 2: The server do not have a real IP but there is a program that create a Dynamic DNS (If you google dynamic DNS there is plenty free of them) what ever my IP is it will assign it to that IP. and on this machine I installed magicinfo server. So in the clients I input the DNS I have from the DDNS program (ex: anything.ddns.net)

Most important thing is that you need to open the ports in the router (Client and server side) to access the server and remote control features and I've attached an image with the required ports to be opened.

These were my cases of global connections. Other than that there is a bank that have a VLAN across the whole country, so I've installed the server in their head quarters with an IP, and since the clients are also on the same network the can see the server normally
Your feedback is welcome :)