Purchasing licenses

• 7 Replies

Offline mlautens

Purchasing licenses
« on: September 14, 2015, 07:17:16 PM »
We purchased some Samsung LFDs for our school. To get them up and running, we downloaded MagicInfo Server V3.1 from Samsung with a 60 day trial key. Everything is working perfectly, except that we can't get anyone to tell us where we can purchase an actual license.

We had to call Samsung tech support with issues and they helped us, but whenever we ask where to buy the software license, they just say they can't answer that and transfer us to   *CENSORED* . That ALWAYS goes to voicemail and no one calls back.

I am hoping that someone here can point me to an agent or company that can help us purchase a proper license for this software. We're located in the US.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

~ Mark

Offline skipdo

• Major Guru
Re: Purchasing licenses
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 03:24:58 PM »
This should help. https://www.cdw.com/shop/search/result.aspx?key=magicinfo&wclsscat=&b=&p=&ctlgfilter=&searchscope=all&sr=1&pfm=gln

Offline mlautens

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 05:02:09 PM »
Thanks.

Believe it or not, immediately after posting here, Samsung finally called us back (after a month of trying). They also referred us to CDW. Samsung advises that the license cost is $467 PER SCREEN (on an LCD panel we paid approximately $850 for).

I will be taking that up with CDW to see if it's true or not, but it anyone here happens to know the answer to that part of the question and is willing to share it, I'd love to have that settled. Is a MagicInfo Server license per screen, or per server? And if it is the latter case, how many screens will it support?

Offline skipdo

• Major Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 03:40:28 PM »
I'm reaching out to our vendor to find the answer. Did you hear anything from CDW?

Offline mlautens

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 03:44:48 PM »
My CDW-G rep (we're a school so I work with their education side) emailed back to me saying he wasn't sure either and would check with his end to see how it's licensed. No word past that, yet.

I'm a bit perplexed at how non-linear purchasing this software has turned out to be. You would think this would be the simplest thing in the world to do.

Offline skipdo

• Major Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 09:14:55 PM »
Sometimes CDW drives me nuts. I'm lucky enough to have a vendor that I can rely on for accurate, quick information.

From my vendor: "Here is the message I received from you Samsung support team:

MagicInfo can support an unlimited number of LFDs, but realistically on a single normal PC about 3-400 is optimal, a heavy duty single server can go upwards of 2500, and clustered servers take over from there. This is common to most digital signage solutions.
The purchase is a single time, includes training, tech support, and updates.
We can provide the requested assistance."

So it looks like you only need one license according to Samsung.

Offline swerty

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 07:53:36 PM »
Hi Skipdo,

Thanks for your information on the license for MagicInfo. I agree that getting this product to work is not fun, and takes a bunch of calls to tech support.

Were you able to get this working with only one license on the server software? Do you know if you only need one license for the console software or per screen (BW-MIV20SW: https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Samsung-MagicInfo-i-Premium-Server-License/3183614.aspx?enkwrd=BW-MIP20sw&pfm=srh )?

Thank you,

Offline KABay

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 10:25:44 PM »
You can have only one license per server. When you want to add more devices you have to get Samsung to add those devices to your license, deactivate the 'existing' license and then 'reactivate' the license. What a cluster-f**k! For some reason we can't use the "connected" method of registering licenses so when we added devices last time it deleted all (104) of them and we had to reapprove each of them, republishing all of the content and resetting all of the timers!

Their server software should be able to add multiple licenses and figure out how many devices it will support. The stuff I write sure would. It is not hard. They could still keep their arcane licensing process; buy a License Key, get an Activation Key from their GSBN site, apply the activation key.