Samsung SyncMaster 400UXn-3 - no XPe, behaves like a monitor?

• 3 Replies

Offline Durzel

Samsung SyncMaster 400UXn-3 - no XPe, behaves like a monitor?
« on: February 28, 2017, 03:27:08 PM »
Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to Samsung signage displays, so bear with me please.

The company I work has recently bought a second hand Samsung SyncMaster 400UXn-3, the model number is LH40GWSLBC/EN.  It has a sticker on it that says it has "Windows Embedded Standard" with a code of X14-67296.  I assume this is standard for the model.  It was supplied with a power cable, remote and nothing else - no MagicInfo CD, no other cables.

Reading the specification of these displays I had been led to believe that they had a built-in operating system, specifically Windows XP Embedded.  Unfortunately when I power on our screen it does not "boot" anything, it simply comes up with a "No Signal" banner on the screen, with whichever input it happens to be on ("PC" I think when it starts).  Cycling through the inputs does nothing, and there appears to be no way to "boot" the built-in OS.  Pressing the "MagicInfo" button on the remote simply results in a banner on the screen saying "Not available".

I read somewhere that you could connect a USB keyboard and press DEL as you switch the screen on, to enter a BIOS and possibly boot off a USB stick (with a view to reinstalling the OS?), but this doesn't work either.  I have tried two USB keyboards and neither of them seem to work, pressing DEL as I switch the screen on does nothing.  The keyboard lights don't even illuminate, as a point of fact.  There is nothing to suggest they are even connected.

There is nothing about how the screen is currently working to suggest that it is behaving like anything other than a dumb monitor with several inputs.  Despite this looking at the back of the screen I can see through the vent that there is a Sandisk Solid State Drive installed.  I have no idea if this is working, but right now it's the only obvious sign that this screen is something more than what it appears to be.

I'd hugely appreciate any help anyone can give with this screen.  Thanks in advance.

Darren

Offline juansdelgado

Re: Samsung SyncMaster 400UXn-3 - no XPe, behaves like a monitor?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 02:37:37 PM »
As far as i've seen in those monitors, there's a video input called magicinfo, in where the PC starts.

Check that input!

Offline Durzel

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 03:09:19 PM »
As far as i've seen in those monitors, there's a video input called magicinfo, in where the PC starts.

Check that input!
Thanks, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me... a video input ?  What would I plug into it?  Isn't the point of an embedded PC & operating system that you don't need any kind of external hardware?  In other words - like it's an all-in-one PC?

Offline Durzel

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 04:02:32 PM »

Check that input!

If anyone cares I managed to solve this.. turns out you need a cable connected from MAGICINFO OUT to HDMI 2.  I didn't have this cable, but Samsung gave one to me.  As soon as it was plugged in I could then see (and use) Windows XP Embedded.

Thanks!