PowerPoint problem

• 18 Replies

Offline MarkWarren

PowerPoint problem
« on: June 07, 2010, 08:54:58 AM »
Hi everyone,

First time on here so please be gentle  :)

I have just taken delivey of a 400DXN-2 and also one of the Samsung 'media player' boxes to have aplay with.

I have managed to get things working OK using MagicInfoPro, inluding video, stills, RSS feeds etc. but I am really struggling with getting Powerpoint files to play back.  When I insert the PP file and go into scheduler on the client, it simply opens up the file in PowerPoint for editing and does not display it.  I have set the slide show up to show in a window, loop continuously and use timings.  I have installed full PowerPoint onto the client as well as the Viewer, as suggested in a great article I read recently, but this still hasn't worked.  I have also tried saving a PowerPoint Show file but this also doesn't work.

This is the last bit I need to get working so any help would be really appreciated - I am convinced I am missing something really simple and obvious, though not to me!!

Many thanks

Mark Warren

Offline theman192

Re: PowerPoint problem
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 04:22:36 PM »
Hi Mark

I'm fairly new as well, but I think your issue is having the full Powerpoint installed on the client.  The only thing you should there is the viewer.  When the scheduler launches the ppt file then the viewer which will now by the default app for that file will display your slide deck.  If you have multiple slides, make sure your annimation timing is added and you put the it into continiou loop, or you will get just one pass.

Hope this helps

Offline MarkWarren

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:36:31 AM »
Hi theman,

Thanks for your reply.  I did initially have just the viewer on and it did not work.  I then read a good article which explained you had to have the full version on the client which is why I then installed it.

As stated in my original post I have set the slide show to use timings and loop continuously, but still no joy.

It is really frustrating in that the Powerpoint inclusion is probably going to be the most used bit by the different people around the university - that and the fact I have got every other feature to work just fine !!

Cheers

Mark

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 06:23:20 AM »
Never had a problem and don't understand why you do. What version of PPT application do you use. I find that 2003 is the best to use. There is an option on Magicinfo Pro server to use Viewer On or Off. Save your files as PPT and not PPS.

Bill

Offline rhuets

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 04:05:07 PM »
It works well with ppt viewer 2007. no need of full powerpoint at all.
Please ajust settings of your ppt.
it must be continuous till ESC, without comments, and full screen.
Hope it helps
 :)

Offline simma

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
Hi,

Even i faced the similar problem with the PPT and i switched to PPS. Now every thing goes smooth.

Regards,
Narasimman.K

Offline London-I

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
  • FLY ME!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 06:07:30 PM »
We too use PPS with no issues thus far..

Offline dm

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 03:44:55 PM »
I ran into similar problems when first setting up the software, here is what I learned...

To run powerpoint full screen on the actual display, you will need to have powerpoint viewer installed.  I don't think the version matters.  To run the powerpoint in a "window" on the screen, you will need to have powerpoint 2003 installed.  The newer versions of powerpoint always want to open in editing mode.

You will also need to set a couple options, some in the powerpoint (set up slide show; browsed by indivdual, loop continuosly, ect...)

In magic infopro you will need to set viewer property to off.

Offline nolly

• Hero Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 05:32:02 PM »
Hi,

Even i faced the similar problem with the PPT and i switched to PPS. Now every thing goes smooth.

Regards,
Narasimman.K

I have spent more hours on this powerpoint problem than I would like to admit!
I am interested in the suggestion to save the files as .pps  - my server v 2507 doesn't recognise .pps files so I can't upload them to the library. 

nolly

Offline Alison Mudd

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 02:53:05 PM »
I have spent more hours on this powerpoint problem than I would like to admit!
I am interested in the suggestion to save the files as .pps  - my server v 2507 doesn't recognise .pps files so I can't upload them to the library. 

nolly

The only way I could get a presentation to work on our was by saving the PPP as jpg's, it saves them all in an individual picture then to add each jpg to the libary, then run them as a photo one after the other.  Spent hours messing about trying to get it to work as one file.