USB Wireless

• 7 Replies

Offline Knothaid

USB Wireless
« on: July 26, 2010, 06:39:44 PM »
Has anyone tried to set up a USB Wireless network adapter. I just recently got a 40DXN for testing. While I will be able to wire this one, there are going to be other installs that I may not be able to run cat5 to. I have a Netgear WN111 that I want to try. I figured I would rely on some wisdom experience from those before me to save some time. So, anyone try this? Any issues? Did you get decent coverage?

TIA

Knot

Offline mrmrva

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: USB Wireless
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 06:50:47 PM »
You can of course install this adapter but the coverage and transfer speed will depend upon many factors and no one can answer that for you. Bare in mind that MagicInfo Pro server software can only use one network adapter at a time to comunicate with networked displays.

Offline Knothaid

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:54:51 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I do understand the network and coverage implications. I just wanted to make sure that there were no special processes or experiences that others have run into.

I am guessing that after installing the Netgear wireless software I need to commit changes and then reboot? First time messing with EWF, but it seems pretty straightforward.

Offline mrmrva

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:42:30 PM »
Yes you need to commit after install. You will have problem with Netgear util poping up after each windows reboot so you can just delete it from startup folder pr maybe if ossible start it minimized through properties settings if possible. During install I choose windows zero config for managing wireless connections so deleting util shortcut from startup folder wasn't an issue for me, don't know if it would have been otherwise.

Offline Knothaid

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 06:09:32 PM »
Hmm, the problem I run into is that it is wanting to install the Marvel MRVW245.sys from installation disk one. Seems that Samsung has neglected to give this installation that file on the C or D drive. Gonna play with the Marvel web site, but you know as soon as I find that one, it is gonna ask for another one. I don't like calling support....takes more time than finding this stuff on my own....usually.

Offline mrmrva

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 06:22:45 PM »
I also installed Netgear but different model, it was also complaining about missing some files so I ignored it and it worked just fine.

Offline Knothaid

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 07:38:45 PM »
Interesting, the tops searches in Google are calling that a Netgear file. This stuff keeps me employed....I love it! :)

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 12:44:44 PM »
I have used a basic Belkin USB etherner adapter and isntalled the drivers and everything worked ok for me. I used a DXN unit as well.

What is the problem?

Bill