Displaying a source from a box

• 17 Replies

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: Displaying a source from a box
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 08:07:38 AM »
Hi there, we had some issues when we first got our 400 DXN screens trying to get HDMI to work. The solution I discovered was to reduce the output from the HD source to 720 instead of 1080. Since then we have had no issues. I really hope this helps you.

EricL

Offline malosn

• Major Guru
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 12:44:04 PM »

Hi

By the way can someone tell me how you wired the hdmi source to every single LFD Monitor?
Do you use hdmi amplifier or do you attach a set top box to every single LFD?

as far as i know it was also impossible to use one set top box and stream the TV program through the LAN using MagicInfo.

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 08:39:17 AM »
OK, let's clear some things up here as there seems to be confusion.

The DXn-2 units are able to display PIP (Picture In Picture) and in fact use a frame within the MagicInfo pro software to create a window within your digital signage content. This is not a problem at all. One of the sources that you can use is in fact HDMI. I have a DXn-2 unit in the canteen area of my company and part of the screen is using a SKY feed into it through HDMI and the rest I use for menus ect. This works very well.

Not sure I understand your comments by changing screens. The DXn-2 units are the best in terms of functionality and use. In fact if anything these are the screens I authorise to purchase.

I can send you a template with my own design if you want and get you going; let me know.

Bill

Offline austar

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 05:55:08 AM »
Thanks for they replies,

I will need to investigate this further, one more question, the size of the box on the template, does it need to be a specific dimension, ie does it need to be a 16:9 ratio or does it using scaling to fit to the window, we are running the monitors in Portrait mode and i am intending to inject the PAY TV feed into the bottom 1/3 of the screen. as for the HDMI source... i will revisit this as i am tending to believe this forum more than Samsung themselves... so just to Clarify, the "Not available" would be similar to the out of range you get on a monitor trying to out put a resolution its not happy with.

Regards,
Kyle.

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 09:12:32 AM »
Hi Kyle, when we tried a hi def source originally the hdmi pip was just showing a black rectangle, I cant remember if it had a message but it's definitely worth a try at 720. We are running the screens in landscape mode with no issues, however these screens are the first generation 400 DXN with a resolution of 1366 x 768, I think your resolution may be a lot higher and I think the video scaler used is different so maybe Samsung are correct..

As to the pip size we drew a box with the correct 16 x 9 aspect ratio at the size we wanted on the screen and it worked without issue once we reduced the HD from 1080 to 720 from the source.

EricL

Offline theman192

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 06:37:49 PM »
We are having the same issue, but with a 520DXn.  My first attempt was with a single full screen template in landscape, and the component source was connected to an HD Cablebox sending 1080i.  We got the "Not Available" as well. 

I will try this evening the change to 720 from the cablebox.  There was a comment from Bill on the scaler being different on the 520 so only 400, 460 and 570 would work, which I just couldn't understand.

Has anyone gotten the component source to work on a 520DXn with HD material?  What tricks worked?  This was one of the key reasons we went with this model, and now it won't work. 

What are the alternatives, in the Samsung, Magicinfo I or Pro series?

All help appreciated

Offline austar

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 03:57:55 AM »
Hi all, finally resovled getting a source injected, i ended up using component as the input, however now i have another problem, i run the tv in portrait mode, ie 1080x1920, now my problem is i can put the source window in my template, all content displays correctly with the exception that the source video is still playing in landscape and not in portrait, how do i rotate the video  so i can have it look correct in portait mode. i have tried resizing source window but it just scales the video but wont change the orientation.

Please help.... >:(

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 05:59:20 AM »
Ok, this is your problem.

There is no way a source could be in protrait mode. Remember it is a graphics card that does that and certainly I have not seen any SKY box or Freeview Tuner or a DVD Player that does that! You're asking your monitor to do something your source even cannot do. No wonder it is complaining!

EricL is right - it works for him because his unit is in landscape.

Bill