Questions about XP Embedded System

• 3 Replies

Offline Emilio

Questions about XP Embedded System
« on: September 02, 2010, 03:56:11 PM »
Hi all
I am considering using 460UXn/UTn as a standalone Computer for some meeting rooms in the Office without using any other pc; just plugging a wireless keyb/mouse; do you know if is possible to install and run some standard apps on it like office(word/excel/ppt), Chrome/Firefox or any other apps? What about performance?

I know this question does not fit exaclty here, apologies for that, but this forum is the closest knowledge source i have found related to this.

Offline London-I

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
  • FLY ME!
Re: Questions about XP Embedded System
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 09:30:34 AM »
Hi, should be fine, the computers built into the screens are pretty good, the only problem you may well have is lack of space on the internal drive but you could always plug in an external usb device for storage-the main issue would probably be available space on the system drive for installing the applications you require.

If you do it let us know how you get on  :D

Offline borgendorf

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 07:48:44 PM »
Hi, I'm trying to do the same thing, but use it as a hallway kiosk, and hopefully run some of our visualizations. We bought a Samsung 460TSN-2. It has a pitiful 4GB hard drive and 768MB of RAM. The hard drive comes partitioned in half. We used Easeus Partition Master (free) to remove the D: partition and expand C: to the full 4GB (and we're still testing to see if that was a bad idea or not)  :)

Ours has already been mounted, so I can't check the back at this moment, but it would be nice to know if the hard drive and RAM can be upgraded (does anyone here know?).

As for XP Embedded, I had to turn off the software that protects the drive from changes, enable the Windows Update service in the registry, and also change the registry entry that makes Administrator auto-login, but other than that, it's been acting normally.

Offline pachugonza

• Major Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:13:50 PM »
Hi, should be fine, the computers built into the screens are pretty good, the only problem you may well have is lack of space on the internal drive but you could always plug in an external usb device for storage-the main issue would probably be available space on the system drive for installing the applications you require.

If you do it let us know how you get on  :D

HI, DID YOU INSTALL AN USB DEVICE FOR STORAGE? WICH BRAND DID YOU BUY?
WE HAVE A 400TSN-2 BUT THE OS XP EMBEDDED ITS A  *CENSORED* . WE WANT INSTALL NORMAL XP SP3 BECAUSE WE MUST USE A PROXIMITY SOFTWARE CALLED BLUEMAGNET. OUR PROBLEM ITS THAT DE OS DONT RECOGNISE ANY BLUETOOTH DEVICE

COULD YOU HELP US?
THANKS!!!!