Advanced Scheduling

• 3 Replies

Offline deanomonty

Advanced Scheduling
« on: September 22, 2010, 04:56:26 PM »
Afternoon!

After many attempts I have given up setting up advanced schedules to networked screens, as the Magic Info Pro server software will either crash, become unstable and very slow, or not publish.

Is this an issue others have came accross? I use recommended software versions and test thoroughly etc.

In the early stages of using this software I setup an entire day displaying a different screen within the schedule every minute (took hours, and was onsite with a client at the time). As you can imagine, this was painful enough to setup, yet when the server software failed to publish to the screen I was quite disappointed and looked like a bit of a t**t.

I tried another schedule quite recently where the entire day was a different screen every 30 minutes, WITH each 30 minute screen set to daily for the next few months, but again the same problems occured.

I now avoid this setup like the plague and have insisted that only a handful of screens can be used over a large period i.e. setting up for the next 3-6 months.

It seems there is a data limit within the schedule file, and the more complicated the schedule, the less likely the server will publish to the screen(s).

The option to set a different screen every 1 minute is available in the software, and does not work. Once again software that promises the world and delivers just a little chunk.

I would like to be able to import a schedule that can deal with large amounts of changes even on a minute by minute basis but have no confidence that the software will remain stable, or publish when completed.

Any opinions, experiences etc would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Dean

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: Advanced Scheduling
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 09:29:15 AM »
Hi

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with the software.

It does work but it's not an easy ride understanding the software  ;)

Try setting a schedule up like suggested here http://www.signagehelp.com/magic/index.php/topic,361.msg1646.html#msg1646 and let me know how you get on.

Most people set up a web area on the screen to update data regularly then use an external web page on a server to handle data.

You can then hide the scroll bars and refresh the web page as often as you like in the MagicInfo Pro software.

EricL

Offline Ewanl30

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 10:43:57 AM »
I agree with Eric we are currently running 12 screens the issues you have are common place among everyone in the forum its purely a matter of learnign the softwares limits and not overstepping the mark not great but all we can do till samsung get the finger out and put more development time into it which I cant see happening.

I found it easier to make up 1 large 1 hour screen and just have it repeating itself tor the whole day.

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 09:00:33 PM »
I am not sure I agree with Dean... Remember that this is a free Digital Signage softare and it does do quite a lot to be honest. You see the default is to create an hourly schedule (template really), but then we use the scheduling part and only publish this for half an hour. But you can create a lot longr than this and then have layers and appearcances of the frames you create.

Digital Signage is not like Power Point - you need to spend time on it and think ahead.

Bill