What is the best antivirus to put on screens?

• 12 Replies

Offline DNA-Shawn

What is the best antivirus to put on screens?
« on: September 23, 2010, 04:24:53 AM »
We have just installed 8 TVs within a corporate network and my IT department wants each screen to have antivirus protection installed on each end-point (smart) but the C partition on the Samsung has limited space and The Norton AV they use is too large and leaves little room for content. What I need to know is what others have done to protect their systems within the limited environment of the MagicInfo? Have you used a limited install of an AV? Or have repartitioned the flash drives on the TVs?
Thank You
Shawn

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: What is the best antivirus to put on screens?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:57:39 AM »
Hi

we don't use any antivirus on our screens-I wouldn't have thought you would need one unless you are setting web pages to visit suspect sites-even then the network should have firewall protection already present.

I am happy to stand corrected.

EricL

Offline DNA-Shawn

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 02:27:03 PM »
Thanks, that's what I  thought but I have seen a few posts who have turned off norton AV due to slow scheduler updates, but these must be on the VM Server side. Our IT is worried that an unprotected machine on the network will act as "breeding" nest for any viruses that might be on the network but that otherwise don't affect computers since they all have AV installed.

Offline London-I

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
  • FLY ME!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Well, everything on the system drive would be wiped when the machine reboots thanks to EWF. There is the D: drive to consider but it really shouldn't be an issue.

The signs have windows firewall on anyway..

If they think they should have a AV on then it should be ok to install one if there is space-the thing is it will have to download updates every time it reboots unless you turn off the EWF function-(not recommended) or manage to somehow set the updates to use the D: drive.

Offline DNA-Shawn

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 04:57:43 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to give an update on my status in case some else runs into this issue.  After installing limited viewers, & codecs we were left with a mere 212 MB on the C: drive and antivirus would not run from the D: drive.  We tried to repartition the drives into one, but the neither AV or MagicInfo would function so we re-imaged back to original state.

My current short term solution is that I have to upload content via USB Jump drives (a pain to say the least on a large campus) and IT won't allow the system to be connected to the corporate network without AV protection (so also no web feeds), it violates standard procedures (its a big deal in a global biotech to not follow SOPs).  We are working on a longer term solution to run each TVs from small form factor PCs that could run larger RAM & Harddrives.

Seems like Samsung is not living in the current day reality of security threats, I know that the restart software would reset all settings, but the TVs don't restart daily, so I'm not sure how that's a solution.
Thanks for all the information,
Shawn
San Diego

Offline London-I

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
  • FLY ME!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 01:38:05 PM »
Could you swap out the solid state drive for a larger one?

Offline DNA-Shawn

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 02:29:38 PM »
Yes we are also checking if this is possible. Thanks

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 08:16:45 PM »
Generally the screens are protected through EWF - this is not ideal, but at least it does protect the OS. The problem with Antivirus (any Antivirus software) is that it keeps looking for updates and has to access the net and also update its libray. If you have EWF enabled, then all updates and downloads will disappear and you will have to download all these updates again. Remember that this is a XP Embedded OS. The screens do not have resources and they are not just like any other PC. You have to treat it with respect.

For the years I have used MagicInfo screens, I have not had problems with viruses etc. maybe I have been lukcy, but what I know for sure is that I have been using them sensibly.

Bill

Offline DNA-Shawn

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 07:22:58 PM »
Thanks, Bill

I'll pass on your words of wisdom to my IT staff, see if this changes their minds...
~Shawn

Offline DH

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »
One thing you may wish to try is inserting a USB flash drive and installing the AV on to there.
That way EWF should not come in to play and it will not eat up space for content etc.