controlling screens in multiple locations

• 4 Replies

Offline gqelements

controlling screens in multiple locations
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:24:12 PM »
Samsung Canada is saying that a vpn must be established between server and screen if server in location a controls locations b c d (outside a LAN)...
Can anyone help clarify how to set up a network in multiple locations controlled by a central server/

Any special things to keep in mind when deploying content? Do the screens need static IP?

Offline London-I

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
  • FLY ME!
Re: controlling screens in multiple locations
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 03:41:20 PM »
Hi, not sure how to do this my expertise doesn't stretch far enough..

I would have thought this is what the magicinfo-i software has been designed for-I could be wrong though.

I would certainly expect static ips would be needed and a vpn makes sense-normally the magicinfo pro is deployed on one network in one location.

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 07:34:33 AM »
OK using MagicInfo pro only the Server/Scheduler needs a static IP address. Remember that this has to be a PUBLIC static IP address. We all use ISPs for connecting to the Internet, so we may have static IP addresses within our corporate LAN, but having a PUBLIC IP address is different. So you need to ask your company if they can allocate one of those to your Server/Scheduler.

You are quite right MagicInfo I is a different ball game. The Server is just a website address meaning that the screens onoy need to look for the URL and that's it.

Most of these connection types have nothing to do with MagicInfo pro or I. The problem is that IT departments have their own philosophies, likes and dislikes and that is a big problem.

The most secure way in getting a screen to be used within a corporate LAN is to allocate IP address to dedicated MAC addresses.

MagicInfo software only needs to have a clear connection, the rest is up to the network and operating systems.

Bill

Offline Grewenig

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:44:39 PM »
this is exactly what I'm looking to do but my issue is that the Client Screens may or may not have a router or any infrastructure in place, could be simply a modem direct to the screen running with DHCP.  Have you had any experience with this scenario??

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:48:35 PM »
There are other packages than VNC (used by Samsung MagicInfo pro). I use Teamviewer (the professional version) and also Logmenin or WebEx, or NO-IP. This type of remote access will get you through to the screens irrespective MagicInfo pro.

Bill