signagescheduler.exe error and crash

• 9 Replies

Offline srtjase

signagescheduler.exe error and crash
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:09:08 PM »
Hopefully someone can help me with this.

I have a 320mxn and have been having an issue where every few days, the magicinfo client crashes, puts up a dialog box with a memory could not be written error and then waits until someone clicks "ok" before it terminates the application and either returns to the desktop or just hangs the machine completely.

I have upgraded to the newest client software. no change.

I've tried calling the support people that Samsung directed me to, but they were not helpful. They simply said the product does not behave that way and that they have no idea what causes this.

I'm running 1 screen that alternates between a few web areas and a ppt. I've got ppt viewer 2007, and that is about it. It runs from 0600 to 1800 every day. The rest of the time, I've tried leaving it up with no content running and with the panel off screen but did not have any different results.

Should I be considereing using a .swf of the ppt vs the ppt itself? Am I looking at a physical memory error? Is it the ppt viewer? Should I try forcing a restart each evening?

Any help is welcome.

Thanks,
Jason

Offline fluidium

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: signagescheduler.exe error and crash
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »
It is definitely a very good idea to schedule the screen to reboot once a day during a quite period to reset everything-this should be done via the screen timer/clock as opposed to the scheduler "off" function as that only turns off the screen back-light, it does not shut down and restart the PC.

Let me know if this makes sense or you need more details :-)

Offline London-I

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
  • FLY ME!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:30:54 PM »
Happy New Year all :-)

Yep-as fluidium says-restart the screen once a day to clear any memory leaks-I convert our ppt to flash files as standard as I find they run more smoothly and are easy to integrate into a "screen" design.

Offline srtjase

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:46:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I'm an IT guy, but new to magic info stuff. Can you give me a bit more detail on the best way to cycle the power on the machine? Can I use this same approach to schedule periods of time (weekends, for example) when it doesn't need to be on?

Also, can you tell me what you are using to convert to flash? I see that some people have had issues with image quality when using certain utilities to convert ppt to flash.

I guess a third question relates to pushing changed content to the screen. There will be multiple departments, each pushing content view their own ppt. Do I need to re-publish the schedule to force the new content out, or can I have the screens reach out and grab new content on periodic basis?

Again, I appreciate your help.

Offline fluidium

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 01:54:54 PM »
You set the on/off schedule via the Magicinfopro server remote window/MDC choosing "time" in the tree. Once clicked you can see the schedule for the timer on the LCD screen as opposed to the schedule set for the screen files. Set the current time for each screen (do one then copy all to the others) Now set the on/off time for each screen together with the volume. Make sure you have chosen to turn the timer "on" in the options. This will shutdown and restart the internal pc and the screen at the set times.

Personally I use iSpring Ultra 3 but there are other ppt to .swf programs out there, some may be free. The results are good with this one so far.

You can do either-it depends on how you set your client to run-I prefer to run in scheduler mode creating a html page placed on the server then linked to via a web area in your screen file. The .swf is part of the page. In your situation using this method you could upload a replacement .swf whenever and either schedule the screen file to refresh at regular intervals to show the new .swf file or simply build in a meta refresh to the page so it refreshes just the html page and .swf every hour say rather than the whole screen.

If you re-publish the schedule to update the .swf you need to rename the .swf file and send it to the library again and reference the new file in your screen or the system sometimes does not overwrite the original file on the client-thus your .swf does not update after republishing when you would expect it to..

There is no option for setting the LCD timer to turn the screens off during weekends, it is talked about on here on a regular basis but unfortunately it has not been built into a new version yet.. here's hoping (fingers crossed) that it might eventually appear :-)

Offline srtjase

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 06:53:16 PM »
Right now I have several items showing in succession in a single screen file. How much stuff should I be cramming into a single screen vs using multiple screen files? For example, should I have one for weather, and another for company safety info, etc?

Thanks

Offline mrmrva

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:17:12 PM »
You can put as many files in one screen as you like. I have about 70 and there are no problems.

Offline srtjase

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »
So, my scheduler is still crashing. I have set an on/off schedule. However, when the screen does power up, the screen says to check the PC cable. If I cycle through the video sources I will eventually get back to my content.

Have I missed something on the settings?

Thanks,
Jason

Offline mrmrva

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 09:42:50 AM »
You need to set MagicInfo as source in the On Timer option.

Offline srtjase

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 02:15:13 AM »
Goood call on the video source. I just saw that it was set for PC and didnlt read any further.

I've got the second screen installed today and am now getting the I set it to just run a ppt presentation in a loop. It hung with both ppt viewer 2003 and 2010. On the original screen, it seems to happen when transitioning from a web page that uses java to ppt viewer.

I've used ispring to create a flash version of the ppt and set it to run continuously. This may point the finger at ppt viewer.

Any suggestions on where to get information on content servers? I'm looking to see if I can have MI reach out and grab updated content or if I need to publish all content changes manually.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks,
Jason