Windows Explorer dependency

• 4 Replies

Offline Good_Signage

Windows Explorer dependency
« on: January 21, 2011, 06:55:07 PM »
I've created several images for our signage of about 60 displays.

I'm interested in any successful attempts to eliminate the Windows Explorer dependency for MagicInfo Pro.  Unfortunately, the thread for the MagicInfo software immediately exits upon calling the executable to load MagicInfo if the explorer shell (start menu, taskbar, clock) does not exist.

My key reasons for eliminating it are for security purposes.  I would prefer to remove all branding on the display relating to its Microsoft operating system.  The amount of available memory also increases.  Additionally, the explorer shell is entirely unnecessary for a display-only environment.

Has anyone been able to find a successful workaround to this explorer shell dependency?
Are the developers interested in removing this dependency for the explorer shell?

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: Windows Explorer dependency
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »
Hi

I wouldn't expect Samsung to be interested in modifying the OS their software uses as it works well and provides a familiar Windows environment for signage users who may not be used to using computer systems at the sharp end.

What security issues are worrying you?

EricL

Offline Good_Signage

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:05:44 AM »
It also provides a familiar, Windows environment for anyone to maliciously attack the environment.

Additionally, any process is vulnerable to buffer overflows, memory leaks, etc.

I'm not saying that it should be configured with no shell out of the box, I'm only concerned that this dependency exists with more negative aspects than with any positive ones from a technical perspective.  It serves no purpose for normal, day-to-day operation of the signage.

Cons
  • It is an easily recognizable entry point into the system configuration
  • It unnecessarily takes up system resources
  • Process succeptable to overflows and memory leakage.

Pros
    []Explorer shell makes the sign easy to configure and maintain for beginner to intermediate Windows users[/li]

Offline fluidium

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:23:43 AM »
All good points well made :-)

I am not sure where I stand, I can see the pros and cons-maybe Samsung could make a stripped down version and provide it as an optional image for professional users..

Offline mrmrva

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 12:01:44 PM »
It is a good suggestion but I don't see that happening. This software has some basic funcionallity problems and can be improved in many ways but that just doesn't seem to be happening.