How to use Magicinfo on a domain

• 5 Replies

Offline marsdenprimary

How to use Magicinfo on a domain
« on: January 26, 2011, 09:38:57 AM »
Hello,

We have a school domain here with full network. What's the best recommendation for setting it up to work with this? Do I need to add the screens to our Active Directory and join them to our domain?

Also- is there a way of having the content stored on our server so that multiple users can access the same screens and library, consequently being able to 'collaborate' on screens?

J
x

Offline Stringer

• Major Guru
Re: How to use Magicinfo on a domain
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 03:02:04 PM »
You don't necessarily have to join the screens to the domain/AD as they will work fine without doing so.  Although, if you wish to show news feeds from an intranet site (eg. Sharepoint/VLE) you might have to do this.

Just beware that once joined to the domain, the screens will display the login prompt when restarted, but you can get around this.  We simply created a low access screen user account and set it for auto login on the screens using the following Microsoft KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

As for screen sharing, I'm not aware of a way to do this, we do however store all library items on a network share.

Offline marsdenprimary

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 04:20:59 PM »

As for screen sharing, I'm not aware of a way to do this, we do however store all library items on a network share.

A ha!! How do you do this? This is what I was after really... x x x

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 04:41:15 AM »
Not sure if I understand the question. You can install MIP server on a server itself in the school, open up an RDP session and login. You can then use a network drive that points to the content and media files. The screens do not need to be on the network, but the common files will be downloaded onto the screens D: drive when you publish a schedule/template.

Bill

Offline Stringer

• Major Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:56:29 AM »
I'd go with Bill's recommendation for the sharing, as we only really have one person (me) doing the screens, we don't really need to share the libraries/screens.  We just simply ensure that all content is on a network shared drive.

The problem is running the application in two places as you won't both see the same schedules/screens, and if one schedules one thing and somebody else makes another schedule to publish, the most recently published will override the previous.

I suppose, you could always export screens and import them onto other machines, but it's a very manual process for remaining sync'd, better to have it installed in location and use Bill's suggestion of RDP.

Offline marsdenprimary

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:20:37 AM »
Thanks guys x

I was struggling to get things to point to a network share. We have a server in school with network shares set up but Magic Info doesn't like using them it seems because of the way they are shared.

I think i'm going to do what you suggested and go down the RDP route.