Cannot remote to Screen

• 12 Replies

Offline RLS

• Mega Guru
Cannot remote to Screen
« on: March 03, 2011, 02:08:32 PM »
Hello all

We have three screens at our school...However I cannot remote to one of them, why, I do not know.

They were all installed before I started here, but I was under the impression that they all come with all the required software already installed etc?

Now...the issue is, remoting to the screen from with Magicinfo if that makes sense...I can publish to it, and Windows RD to it (using Local Admin credentials on the screen) but when it comes to using VNC or using Magicinfo, it just does not work...I 'think' its something to do with VNC not starting in user mode, but im not sure.

Am I missing something or? as it's a pain to keep going down to the screen with a keyboard and mouse when its six foot off the ground ;)

Offline Ewanl30

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: Cannot remote to Screen
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 03:12:38 PM »
hello

I had a issue like this a few weeks ago i posted a few days ago regarding port settings which includes VNC take a look as i found these helpful. http://www.signagehelp.com/magic/index.php/topic,427.0.html

this only partially resolved the problem though it only worked once settings were added to the firewall and then reinstalled the vnc software.

Offline RLS

• Mega Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 03:48:54 PM »
Hiya

Thank you for the reply...I presume these settings are on the screens themselves? Through windows firewall or is there another option somewhere? Also, i'm not sure relevant it is as the other two screens work but this one doesn't...And they're the same apart from their screen size :(

Offline Ewanl30

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 09:46:26 AM »
The ports need to be added to your networks firewall
i tend to switch off the firewall on the client as it doenst serve much of a purpose with the other software we have inhouse.

Offline RLS

• Mega Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »
The ports need to be added to your networks firewall
i tend to switch off the firewall on the client as it doenst serve much of a purpose with the other software we have inhouse.

Okay...But surely this is void if two of the screens can be remoted two when the other one can not? =/

Offline Ewanl30

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 03:55:07 PM »
you would be surprised ive had numerous diffrent issues with VNC on the clients
adding the ports and re-installing the vnc server to the plasma resolved the issues for myself.

Offline RLS

• Mega Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 04:02:09 PM »
you would be surprised ive had numerous diffrent issues with VNC on the clients
adding the ports and re-installing the vnc server to the plasma resolved the issues for myself.

Wait wait wait...adding the ports to what? The ports on the networks firewall will be the same for all systems...And the firewall on the display is disabled...

Initially the seVNC program wasn't installed on the screen, I hoped this is what was causing the issue but it turns out its something slightely more annoying

Still not sure whats going on...Funny thing is, I can log onto the screen via Windows RDC...Because that makes sense :p

Offline Ewanl30

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 05:21:30 PM »
have you tried reinstalling the client software and vnc ?

Offline RLS

• Mega Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 08:59:10 AM »
have you tried reinstalling the client software and vnc ?

Hello

VNC has been installed...we can VNc to the system directly using VNC itself, but only if we start it up in User mode? However once the screen restarts or anything User mode will not start up...Is there a way to force VNC to start up in this action or?

We haven't re-installed the client software yet no...As apart from this minor bug it still works as it should do...You can publish and schedule to it fine :)

Offline Ewanl30

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:46:23 AM »
When the issue happened here

it was because the client when restarted would login to another user login

when your tv restarts does it prompt you for a login or just start automatically.

You may need to change the regedit to the user you have updated this was my issue.