Schedule not firing after clocks going back

• 5 Replies

Offline chrisjlocke

Schedule not firing after clocks going back
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:31:33 AM »
I've been running MagicInfo Pro (v2505) for several months now fine. All the schedule is, is one Powepoint file that fires up at 7.30am. The screen turns off at 6pm (via the BIOS timer) and turns on again at 7.25am (again, via the BIOS clock). All has been working well until the clocks went back recently.

Now while the monitor comes on at the right time (after resetting the BIOS clock) the schedule doesn't fire. The screen just remains black. If I fire up MagicInfo Pro and republish the schedule, then the Powerpoint file then comes up.

Aah, so a 'corrupted' schedule file. No probs. I'll wipe out whats there existing, and start a-new. I've set a schedule for the Powerpoint file to come on at 7.35am (just to make a change) but again, when I get to work at 8am the screen is blank. Fire up the schedule on my PC, republish it, and *ping* - the Powerpoint comes up on the screen.

I can't seem to see where the error is (nor if any logs get created). The time on the XP box is right, the monitor time (via Remote Management) is right. I've set a job to ping the monitor, and know it comes on at 7am correctly. If I VNC to it, the SignageSchedular is running and the XL_Ticker, so its all started OK.

Can someone give me some hints and tips?!

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: Schedule not firing after clocks going back
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:13:22 AM »
Hi Chris

check that 'panel' is not set to 'off' in the remote management MDC window.

EricL

Offline chrisjlocke

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 12:04:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

The panel is on, and MagicInfo can connect to it.

I set the schedule to come on at 6.30 this morning, and it came on at 7.30am. I've set a schedule to come on at 12pm (ie, just now) and that came on as planned. It seems when the screen first comes on, its out of bonk, but then sorts itself out later on.

The monitor has EWF enabled, so maybe its locked in the wrong timezone? The screen comes on half hour before the schedule is meant to start, but I guess its not syncronised at that point.

You can tell I'm bumbling along in the dark here, can't you...

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 12:34:23 PM »
Very strange-I have not come across this phenomena before-have you checked the .sch file on the client (root of D)is showing the correct on/off times? Is it showing the correct information that you have published? Try clearing the schedule before publishing (in the publish/schedule window) or even deleting the file on the client before resending it. Just ideas but worth a try  ;D

Offline chrisjlocke

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 02:22:31 PM »
Cheers again for looking in.

I rebooted the monitor, and when XP came up, the time was 13.15 instead of 14.15. The time then flicked to what it should be (ie, XP corrected itself). I assume therefore, that the schedular was an hour out and wasn't updating, until I manually republished.

I've switched off EWF (disk protection?) and rebooted, then switched it back on again, and when XP came up again it said it was 14.15. Hopefully tomorrow morning then, the schedule will work as planned.

Surely I'm not the first to come across this? Or am I just the first to post about it here as I'm a newbie doodie?!

Anyway. Thanks again for your replies - appreciated. Better than getting nothing!

Offline fluidium

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »
Just a quickie - we have hacked the registry on the windows time so it updates from a local server every hour - you change the registry key and the ip address windows gets the time from - it's spelt out somewhere on here cause that's where I got it from.  If you have two screens with flash clocks on it stops them being out by a few seconds by the end of every week before windows resets itself for the internet time server. I hope that makes sense-also check your screen is set to update to Summer Time ?!