Using sfim2_64.exe and creating own images

• 7 Replies

Offline Cloverfield

• Major Guru
Using sfim2_64.exe and creating own images
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:47:14 PM »
Has anyone experimented with creating your own deployment images with sfim2_64.exe? I've noticed that with images I make, the SID is not unique after restore. Has anyone come accross that? I know it's not a major problem when working in a workgroup, but my displays will be having their own domain. Any suggustions for updating the SID's?
Thx

Offline Cloverfield

• Major Guru
Re: Using sfim2_64.exe and creating own images
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 09:19:26 AM »
I found a tool to change the SID's called NewSid, it works good. Sysprep doesn't seem to like Xp embedded. I've been experimenting with sfim2_64.exe a bit. There's not much in the way of customizing image parameters. Anyone managed to get a very small image file?

Offline weaver

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:49:29 AM »
Yesterday I made my own deployment image with sfim2_64 so as not to have to repeat changes in language and configuration. So far I have not used it to restore but will have to later on today for sure as I am playing around a lot. Please explain your comment about unique SID, what is it and how could it effect us ??

Offline Cloverfield

• Major Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 02:21:47 PM »
I'm using one image to restore on multiple displays(320MXN-3)....a lot of displays.

A SID is a Security Identifier, the unique Windows identifier. It and the machine name must be unique on a network. Most deployment apps have built in tools that update the SID and name.

Curious how long your restore takes. I can't seem to get mine under 1 hour. I haven't made that many changes to the thin client, from the image I was provided with from Samsung. I installed a powerpoint viewer and a shockwave player. Minor tweaks really, but my restore takes twice as long.

Offline weaver

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:44:13 PM »
Thanks for the Info, My backup took 50 minutes, file size has gone from 853Mb to 913Mb just for the change from English to Spanish. The restore just took 10 minutes. I guess it depends a lot on the pen drive used.

Offline Good_Signage

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 10:36:42 PM »
In my experience, the "sysprep" process for Windows XP Embedded is the "reseal" phase.  This is the process that Microsoft has designed the XPe OS to re-create its SID.  For the Samsung displays, the reseal executable (fbreseal.exe) is not included with the image.  You'll have to find another device with the XPe OS and use it from there.

I would recommend testing and researching heavily on the XPe OS before attempting to reseal.  Take a thorough number of system images in case you have to revert.

Some issues I've ran into include breaking the EWF and having to batch install it again on first reboot after the reseal phase.

Offline Cloverfield

• Major Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 08:55:09 PM »
Just to update, maybe help some others, I got my image load time down to 5 minutes! Unfortunately, sfim2_64 played no part in it. Respectfully, that file was not designed for mass deployment. I used WinPE in combination with ImageX and some tweaking. There's other solutions out there I'm sure. After disabling the EWF(which is key), I added registry keys to RunOnce running newsid(freeware) solving unique names and SID issues and bingo. My perfect thin client image, with all the super fly files & software I added can flash an out of a box display in under ten minutes. You wouldn't recognize it. Cheers-

Offline Ewanl30

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 11:03:35 AM »
jammy git LOL