Flash file running slow and crashing MagicInfo

• 13 Replies

Offline L

• Major Guru
Flash file running slow and crashing MagicInfo
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:24:30 PM »
The 'look' of our content seems to best suit one large, full screen flash file, with only 1 or 2  small layers over it. 

This main file isn't very large, considering it is full res (300MB), but it seems to be forcing MagicInfo to close.  When it does play back (area set to "Full") it is blown up larger than the screen size, only showing the middle portion.  The file has been made 1920x1080, which I was told is the native res. for my 57", but something isn't set correctly.  I would've thought that even if the size was slightly off, the "Full" setting would re-scale.

I'm hoping my mistake is obvious to other users, but I don't know if the template settings or flash file are to fault.

Thanks in advance, for any ideas.

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: Flash file running slow and crashing MagicInfo
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »
Hello, are you sure you created your original screen project with a background size of 1920x1080-you usually need to tell magicinfo pro the screen size you are using when you first create the project..

design view/tools/option/screen/choose default size here/set

EricL

Offline L

• Major Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 03:28:36 PM »
Thanks, Eric.

No, I had only set the proper size in the "Background/Area".  Now that I've made the changes, though, it still appears the same.  Over sized and slow.

I changed "Full" to "Original", just to see the difference.  It now displays the entire file in the centre of the screen, but it doesn't fill the screen.  The file should've been made to avoid any re-sizing, or is sizing up unavoidable with such a large display?

On another note, how do I set each screen to a different resolution?  I have two that are 1920x1080 and another three that should be 1366x768.

Lisa

Offline fluidium

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:59:56 PM »
Hi, is your flash file a video file? 300 mb seems pretty heavy to me-if a vid how long does it run for?

For each different screen that has a different resolution you would make a separate project file so as you build it in the design view it will display correctly on the screen itself.

You can also run the screens in portrait mode if you like.

As Eric mentioned above you would first choose the background size/orientation that matches the screen you will be designing for. If you have more than one screen you can then group them to run from the same project file  ;D

Offline L

• Major Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 04:17:21 PM »
The flash file is a .swf and it is a :30 animation.  I'm not at all familiar with flash, so someone else has created it.  Is there an alternate flash file type that is more compliant with MagicInfo?

So, I would set to the higher resolution in Properties (1920x1080) and only set the lower res (1366x768) when I'm building the screen for those monitors?  BTW - each size will have different designs and content.  (Portrait was my first choice, but the boss had other ideas.)  ;)

Offline L

• Major Guru
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 09:00:48 PM »
The suggestion was made to me today that I might be missing the codec the swf file needs to open properly, and that it is possible this could cause the file to open at the wrong size.  Just in case, I am in the process of getting the animation in another file format, to test.

Does the codec theory seem plausible?

Lisa

Offline dekorima

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 07:28:44 AM »
As far as I know, flash does not require codecs. Are you running an old version of Flash-player?

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 11:03:30 AM »
Hi,

a flash file should be relatively small over that period, certainly not 300 Mb. I would get another opinion on the file itself and ensure it has been created correctly.

Sorry to sound negative but I would only expect 300 Mb if it was a full frame uncompressed video/animation file.

For an animated vector file such as flash for 30 seconds it probably shouldn't be any bigger than 5Mb.

EricL

Offline L

• Major Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 10:00:18 PM »
I didn't realize flash files don't have a codec, but that's also what the editor tells me.

I'm thinking that it must be the file, too.  I also just discovered that I can't seem to layer another flash 'area' (my clock) over this full screen flash file.  It's just as well that I will be changing the file type and area to 'movie'.

Thanks for the input.  Will post again, if the change to movie doesn't work.

Lisa

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 10:12:25 PM »
Hi Lisa

video will always take precedence as the top layer over everything else.

I dont think you will be able to layer your clock on top of a video file.

You might be able to do it using the zindex of the flash files but it could get messy..

Usually the best thing is to set your video inside a surround area then set your clock within the surround.

EricL