Unable to get the client to talk to the server remotely

• 3 Replies

Offline cis4smack

Unable to get the client to talk to the server remotely
« on: October 08, 2009, 05:58:52 AM »
I'm having a problem trying to get the client to see the server. The server is another city and the client in another city. I am unable to get them to talk to each other.

Here is what i've done so far:

Server:
Gave the server dmz for now
Disabled the windows firewall

Client:
Gave the client dmz for now
Disabled the windows firewall

Is there specific ports I need to open or am I missing someting.

Thanks for your help in advance....

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: Unable to get the client to talk to the server remotely
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 01:31:27 PM »
I presume you have given the client the static ip address of the location where the server is and perhaps tunnelled the client through the LAN to it?

EricL

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 07:31:46 AM »
Hi! The MagicInfo Pro client must be setup to look for the IP address of the server and the Server must be set to use the Direct connection. The Server IP has to be a PUBLIC static IP address. If it is a static IP address within your environment, this will not work. The client doesn't have to be on a static IP address, but must have access to the Internet. I have attached a link so that you can see what ports are opened from the Server point of view. But to be honest, if you do as I describe it will be just fine.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/Z01OTXRSZEtlcEt4dnc9PQ

The link will last only for a week I think.

On the Windows Firewall, you need to ensure that File and Print are enabled. You will have to do this even if you have a LAN or a WAN connection. For me it works.

I hope that this helps.

Bill

Offline gb_at_igz

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:30:33 PM »
Dear Colleagues,

we have the same issue - remote connection works fine when the windows firewall is disabled and our company firewall shows pass-through between the subnet with the public displays and the server PC. So far, I found the TCP ports 52000 and 53001 as well as the UDP port 55001. However, there must be some more ports since the connection is refused if i restart the windows firewall with allowance for just the named three ports. Can anyone post the ports and protocols (TCP / UDP) which are necessary for the connection/communication? Or can someore (Bill?) repost the bitmap with the ports (link has expired)?

Sincerely

Gerald Boehm