Web data

• 6 Replies

Offline mdelzer

Web data
« on: January 07, 2010, 07:52:54 PM »
I'm trying to find confirmation if I can do this with MagicInfo on a Samsung display.  I need to be able to display dynamic data served by a PHP server.  Is this possible and what do I need to do it?  Can this be configured for the data to point to each display individually with out a MagicInfo server or is the server necessary.  Thanks in advance.

Mark

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: Web data
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 02:39:45 PM »
Mark, there are three main files that get published on the D: drive of these monitors; one being a directory called Screen and the other two are XML script files. One is the description of your template and saved as template.scn and the other one is called sschedule.scl. These are files that you can edit if you want with Notepad provided you know what you are doing. I find this very useful as I use it on 3 screens across my business.

Does this help?

Bill

Offline mdelzer

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 02:42:11 PM »
So what you're saying is you can still manipulate the data that is shown on the display without having magic info running as a server? 

Mark

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 02:45:12 PM »
Absolutely. You only need the scheduler initially to create your template and publish it - after that you can manipulate it and do your changes manually on the D: drive of the screen. But you need to know XML; I am not very good at it, and don't have the time to be honest.

Bill

Offline mdelzer

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:55:46 PM »
.XML is the least of my worries.  I guess my worry is that I need to be able to write the script to auto-update and display data in asp.net  I think this display can do it but it will cost us some money to get the display.  Another consideration I have is to write a ConnectedTV widget since yahoo just opened it up yesterday but we'd still be at the mercy of an approval process to get it onto TVs. 

Mark

Offline tomk

• Major Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 05:42:09 PM »
I currently have a webserver running and have my MagicInfo display set to cycle through a series of webpages that contain data pulled from either a database or weather information from an API.

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 08:44:10 AM »
This is exactly right. The best use of MagicInfo displays is to use web pages that are dynamic and then use the software to schedule it. This is all you need to be honest. If you have a good web developer, then you are in a good position to maximise your investment.

Bill