Displaying a clock

• 13 Replies

Offline L

• Major Guru
Displaying a clock
« on: November 19, 2009, 04:34:45 PM »
I've just received my screens and am still figuring out the software, with no support.

I'd like to have the current time displayed somewhere, but I'm not sure of the best way to do this.  Is there a way to utilize each monitor's internal clock, or would I need to find an RSS feed or a website that has a clock on it?

Thanks,
Lisa

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
Re: Displaying a clock
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:21:53 PM »
Hi Lisa, welcome to the forums.

The easiest way of displaying the time is to use a clock created in Adobe Flash-this will have the extension .swf and you can create a 'flash' area on your screen in which to place it.

There are loads of free clocks available on the internet to suit all tastes, just put "flash clocks" into Google search http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK345&=&q=flash+clocks&btnG=Google+Search&meta=lr%3D&aq=f&oq=

Here's a link to a typical example http://freeflashclocks.eu/blog/

The flash clock will keep time with the screens internal clock.

EricL

Offline L

• Major Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 06:23:53 PM »
Ah, that makes sense.  Thank you so much!

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 08:15:17 AM »
Remember that if you do download a SWF file with a clock, to set the Flash Repeat to Once when you set the file name, otherwise every second will be repeated and grind the unit to a hault.... This is an excellent way to do Clocks and EricL has provided great links to download them.

Bill

Offline L

• Major Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 04:41:51 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  I would NOT have known to do that.

Do either of you know how to make the background transparent?  I know that it is set to transparent in the html code, but (to be honest) I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing with that code.  The clock worked as soon as I downloaded it and added it to the flash area I had made for it.  What step(s) am I missing?

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 12:32:32 AM »
Lisa, you can't do what you need I am afraid. Unless you point to an HTML code as you quite rightly said, it is the only way to make a clock transparent. This is done properly in Magicinfo I though - the new digital signage from Samsung.

Bill

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 08:40:10 AM »
Hi Lisa, if you do decide to use an HTML page here is the code to make the swf transparent..

1. Add the following parameter to the OBJECT tag:

<param name="wmode" value="transparent">

2. Add the following parameter to the EMBED tag:

wmode="transparent"

EricL

Offline Stringer

• Major Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 10:32:21 AM »
Another way to display a clock would be to use www.timeanddate.com, this site allows you to pick any clock for any time zone around the world and then create a custom clock for your website.  Do this and generate the html.  It'll provide you with an iframe tag with a url in it, simply put this URL into the web URL on your screen and you'll have your time (and date if you want it too).

As you can customise the clock, you can give it a specific background colour too if you wish, to match the background of your screen.

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 10:49:12 AM »
Great link, thanks Stringer  :D

Offline L

• Major Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 10:20:19 PM »
Therein lies the problem...I'm not sure how to point to the html code.  I do have the correct values set to transparent, but I don't know what to do with the code itself.  I'm afraid this is territory that's a bit over my head. :( 

Didn't have much success with the time and date website either, but I'm still happy to have the original clock working for me, even with the solid colored background.

I appreciate all the responses!