Turning screens on and off

• 8 Replies

Offline smudgess

• Super Guru
Turning screens on and off
« on: October 02, 2009, 09:23:21 AM »
I am new to this system so apologies for what are probably dumb questions. I believe there are on/off timers for the screens.  Please can someone enlighten me as to where they are? I also have an issue with one screen powering up automatically anything from 5 - 15 minutes after I have powered it down.  No schedules have been set and all settings appear to be the same as the other screens. Has anyone got a suggestion as to why this is happening (and how to stop it).

Offline London-I

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
  • FLY ME!
Re: Turning screens on and off
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 10:10:26 AM »
Hi, I can help you with this :-)

There are indeed daily timers that shut down the screen and internal pc at set times. To use this feature you have to have power saving in the client (screen) menu set to off. You can set the daily timer either through the screen menu itself or by using the remote server software. The setting for this is found in the server interface under MDC//Time

One important thing to remember about this timer is that if the power is removed from the screen then the timer resets to off and the clock will need resetting-I don't know why this is, to be honest it seems to be an oversight on Samsung's part-after all the other menu settings are retained when off so why not the clock??

An alternate way is to make a blank screen file and name it (I think.. ) 'blank' then insert it in your schedule at the times you would like the screen to show no image-this setting turns off the back-light but the internal pc remains turned on..

We also found one of our screens was switching on after we had remotely turned it off-when we looked more closely we had committed the screen image with the shut-down set to restart instead of turn off so every time the screen shut down it would of course restart instead ;-0   We were a little puzzled how to fix this so in the end we performed a registry change to set it to shut down instead of restart. Once we had done this we committed the change so it was locked. I can put up the registry info if you like..

Offline smudgess

• Super Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 10:24:04 AM »
Thanks very much for your prompt and helfpul reply.  I'll check with my network manager and see if he'd like the settings.

Offline smudgess

• Super Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:10:31 AM »
Please could we take you up on your offer of the registry info.

Thanks very much in advance.

Offline London-I

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
  • FLY ME!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 11:15:36 AM »
To configure the default option in the Windows XP shutdown dialog box to be "Shutdown", configure the following registry value:

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
Value: Shutdown Setting
Type: REG_DWORD
Radix: Hex
Data: 00000002
----------
Possible values for Shutdown Setting:

00000001 = Log Off
00000002 = Shut Down
00000004 = Restart
00000010 = Stand By
00000020 = Stand By (with wakeup events disabled)
00000040 = Hibernate
00000080 = Disconnect (only available in Terminal Services sessions)

Don't forget to commit the change to the image when done or it will come back up with the original setting again.   ;)

Offline smudgess

• Super Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 11:50:46 AM »
Thanks very much.  Hopefully this will do the trick.

Offline London-I

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
  • FLY ME!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 01:28:55 PM »
No Problem, let me know if I can be of any further help  :D

Offline Bill Coral

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 05:46:17 PM »
Screens can be turned OFF using a template. Create a new template and in the Background click on the Screen tab on the left hand side. This will give you the Color option, but you can change this to Source List or Picture File. If you change it to Source List, then you select in Source List field further below the Panel Off option. Save the template with an appropriate filename and then you can schedule it anytime.

The monitor will turn itself ON when a schedule is present, so there is not need to create a similar template such as I described above.

Regards

Bill

Offline smudgess

• Super Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 01:28:59 PM »
That's really helpful - thankyou!