DIGITAL SIGNAGE SUPPORT

Digital Information Displays (Digital Signage) => MagicInfo => Topic started by: ovad2 on January 26, 2010, 08:03:35 PM

Title: Disaster when updating MagicInfo Pro Server
Post by: ovad2 on January 26, 2010, 08:03:35 PM
Today I thought it wouldn't hurt to update the MIP server software on my test machine.  I'm having issues with the monitor, so I thought I'd kill time until I can troubleshoot those.  So...

I downloaded v2507 and double-clicked the exe file.  Next thing I knew, my previous version, v2502ish, had been uninstalled.  This included the deletion of the entire SEC Program Files folder, which of course is the default save location for my screens.  :o  Seriously?!  Did that just happen?!

I've got a few screens that I had uploaded to our dedicated server some time ago, but I've definitely lost several.

Is there any way to retrieve these screen files?  Am I unreasonable to assume that a software update would not delete all user data from the previous version?!

-David
Title: Re: Disaster when updating MagicInfo Pro Server
Post by: causeality on January 26, 2010, 08:43:02 PM
Hi, just having a look round when I saw your question.

First thing, don't do anything else on the machine, find a portable version of a file file recovery application, install on a usb stick then set it looking for your screen files. They should still be there, hopefully.

I have never heard of this happening with magicinfopro updates before.
Title: Re: Disaster when updating MagicInfo Pro Server
Post by: Bill Coral on January 31, 2010, 02:01:14 PM
I think you'd better call the Samsung Digital Signage Support Line to get some help! If you based in the UK that is:

01932 455000 This is the swicth board.

Bill
Title: Re: Disaster when updating MagicInfo Pro Server
Post by: nolly on July 24, 2010, 12:02:51 AM
Exactly the same thing has just happened to me.

Users beware.

nolly
Title: Re: Disaster when updating MagicInfo Pro Server
Post by: Bill Coral on July 25, 2010, 12:31:13 PM
Normally you will have to Export your templates and perform an upgrade so that you can Import them after the upgrade is done. This is not really great from Samsung, but that is the way it is.

To Export/Import your templates, go to Library, Tools, Screen and then Import/Export.

Bill
Title: Re: Disaster when updating MagicInfo Pro Server
Post by: nolly on July 25, 2010, 08:10:30 PM
Normally you will have to Export your templates and perform an upgrade so that you can Import them after the upgrade is done. This is not really great from Samsung, but that is the way it is.

To Export/Import your templates, go to Library, Tools, Screen and then Import/Export.

Bill

Thanks Bill.  I'll know for the next time!!  Anything that I should know before I update the Client Software?

nolly
Title: Re: Disaster when updating MagicInfo Pro Server
Post by: Bill Coral on August 20, 2010, 04:34:56 AM
I think that Samsung have started providing upgrade software, so you do not have to install and re-install and therefore do not loose your schedules, templates and screen designs. Not very well documented though.

Bill
Title: Re: Disaster when updating MagicInfo Pro Server
Post by: dgbslb on October 02, 2010, 12:40:45 AM
Just happened to me as well.  I followed instructions sent from Samsung support and now everything is gone.  The update also uninstalled VNC from the client so I lost contact with that as well.  So tonight (Friday night) I sit here trying to remember all of our screens and get the system back up ASAP.  Absolutely ridiculous!!!