DIGITAL SIGNAGE SUPPORT

Digital Information Displays (Digital Signage) => MagicInfo => Topic started by: dfl on December 15, 2009, 02:45:18 PM

Title: New install on XP Pro, Help Needed
Post by: dfl on December 15, 2009, 02:45:18 PM
Afternoon All

The co. I am working for are looking into installing numerous screens.  I have been loaned a screen to test as we have to build all devices on our network to standards set by uk gov.

I have installed XP and fully updated the system, now I've installed the client but when I double click I am getting nothing.

I have just spoke with a vendor who said the client must be able to see the original Hard Drive due to firmware on the disk.  I have scoured the original disk with more applications than you can shake a stick at and I cannot see any hidden partitions.

Any thoughts...???
Title: Re: New install on XP Pro, Help Needed
Post by: fluidium on December 15, 2009, 03:49:37 PM
Hi there,

can I ask a few questions just to be clear.

You have a Samsung screen with magicinfo pro pre-installed on the inbuilt pc?
You have an separate XP machine on which you have installed the magicinfo pro server?
you are now trying to connect the two across a LAN?

Problem is nothing appears to be happening?
Title: Re: New install on XP Pro, Help Needed
Post by: dfl on December 15, 2009, 04:39:17 PM
At present we have a 400DXn but we are not using the embedded software as Samsung are about release their 40GB solid state models, so I have been loaned a blackbox which is basically the PC that will be inside the new screens.  We have taken the Hard Drive out so we don't destroy their WinXPe image and have replaced it with a blank drive which we have installed XP Pro on and MagicInfo Pro client.

Being local Gov we have to comply with new communication rulings set by central gov.  So we have to use XP Pro.

When the system starts up we get the Win VNC icon in the task tray, but no magic info.  Double clicking the shrtcut and the actual .exe also produces nothing.  Are we missing any .dll's or other files that MIP maybe looking for?
Title: Re: New install on XP Pro, Help Needed
Post by: dfl on December 15, 2009, 04:41:43 PM
NOTE: the server is fine, we have that running of another PC at present, its just the client PC now.
Title: Re: New install on XP Pro, Help Needed
Post by: fluidium on December 15, 2009, 05:34:27 PM
Hi there,

I see now :-)

Well, it should work,-the only reason I can see as to why the client will not work is because it is installed on a system that it does not recognise as being a genuine Samsung screen or it is not integrated properly somehow.

There have been a few people on here who have wanted to install the client on another pc instead of an actual screen and discovered the client wont open.

Probably the best bet at this stage is to check with Samsung who will be able to give you a definitive answer..
Title: Re: New install on XP Pro, Help Needed
Post by: 460FPN2 on December 15, 2009, 09:31:03 PM
whe you say the client doesn't open, do you at least have a little globe tray icon in the taskbar? right click on that and choose RUN
Title: Re: New install on XP Pro, Help Needed
Post by: EricL on December 15, 2009, 10:15:44 PM
Hi, I would tend to agree with fluidium-it may not recognise the drive/pc as being a compatible Samsung product-I could be wrong though.. let us know  ;D

EricL
Title: Re: New install on XP Pro, Help Needed
Post by: dfl on December 16, 2009, 03:21:45 PM
well samsung musn't need the money.  Have emailed a support request mentioning we are after 100+ units.  Now if someone was about to spend nearly 200k I would respond pretty sharpish.
Title: Re: New install on XP Pro, Help Needed
Post by: EricL on December 16, 2009, 03:49:06 PM
Me too, maybe they are sluggish this week after eating too many mince pies  ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: New install on XP Pro, Help Needed
Post by: EricL on December 16, 2009, 03:50:28 PM
Seriously thought you might get a faster response by calling them directly.

EricL
Title: Re: New install on XP Pro, Help Needed
Post by: Bill Coral on December 16, 2009, 10:31:30 PM
The Samsung software Magicinfo Pro (or Magicinfo I) will not work on any other system other than Samsung magicinfo screens with WindowsXP Embedded. This includes the fact that you have a Samsung screen with another OS (like Windows XP). I have tried that and it didn't work and when I called their Digital Signage tech support (based in the UK) they have confirmed that.

Samsung work through their specialised resellers whom they have a great knowledge of the Samsung products and software. But you can call Samsung direct and ask for the Digital Signage   *CENSORED*  people, who are also very helpfull. I have had a great big project and I got all the help I needed.

Regards, Bill
Title: Re: New install on XP Pro, Help Needed
Post by: dfl on December 17, 2009, 08:30:20 AM
Well they responded through our reseller......


I hope the following can shed some light on your case.

FDM does not have infinite write cycles, therefore is it essential that FDM is EWF Protected. XPE is the only OS Platform that supports EWF on its Drives.
XP Pro Image can be loaded onto the SBB Box, however it will not work as a MagicInfo Client, reason being is that the Software checks the Screen and Firmware if it is acceptable ? a different OS will contradicte that.

I hope this helps you and let me know how you get on.
Kind Regards

Ahmad Ali
______________________________

Technical Support Software Consultant

Digital Signage Support Centre

Samsung SDS Europe LTD (SDSE)

A: 1000 Hillswood Drive, Chertsey, KT16 0PS