Screen and Server Setup...

• 5 Replies

Offline utpb2010

Screen and Server Setup...
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:22:30 PM »
ok, once again I am in charge of getting these screens working here at the school... I really need to know the following questions please if someone that knows the correct way explain to me what I need to do if this is not the way they should be setup.

Server is setup to Automatically connect using server name..
this being said, IS THIS CORRECT OR FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD SHOULD IT BE THIS WAY

Direct connection using IP ADDRESS, IP ADDRESS ON THIS HOST COMPUTER NEEDS TO BE FIXED AND ALL SCREENS NEED TO BE SETUP WITH EXACT SAME IP ADDRESS...

Do you think me being setup AUTOMATICALLY could be causing the screens randomly freezing and not working like they should be...

I am having to restart the Monitors every morning and then once in the middle of the day because they just dont want to stay up and running, they get the questionmark next to the monitor so I have no idea whats going on but I need someone to explain how they should be setup

if you need to please email me instructions [email protected]

Offline London-I

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
  • FLY ME!
Re: Screen and Server Setup...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:30:31 AM »
Using the server name should pose no problems and is the fastest and easiest way to set up the system-the server will pick up the clients automatically.

No, the server and every client should have separate static ip addresses.

The clients definitely wont work correctly if they all have the same ip address :-)

If you work at a school get the network techs involved in the set-up.

Offline utpb2010

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 08:07:02 PM »
They are involved, but they know as much as me about why these screens keep messing up and getting the question mark on the status once a day I need to figure out why and I figured someone wouuld know about why it would be doing this but apparently nobody really knows...

Offline EricL

• SuperHero & MegaGuru
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:14:33 PM »
Hi

please don't take the simplified explanation below the wrong way-I have no idea of your expertise and I am only trying to help.

As you are probably aware the Magicinfo Pro screens use PC's running Windows XP embedded.

The server is a PC running a Windows OS.

The way the two connect together is using server/client architechture.

If the screens cannot talk to the server or the server cannot talk to the screens correctly then this is indicated by the question mark shown in the server software-ie there is a problem with the connection between the devices.

The sever software has an area to input a suitable name e.g. magicinfopro and the clients software has an area to choose to connect automatically the using server name-therefore this must be entered into each of the clients.

The server and clients should now be able to communicate over the network.

As this is not happening with your set-up it appears that there may be a network issue-as London-I suggests above your network technicians should be able to help.

EricL

Offline utpb2010

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »
EricL

Thank you very much for that information, Is there anyway you can be a little more detailed on the settings inside each screen?? I am using what you said exactly but I just dont see why it could be a connection issue because it is all on the University's network... do you think it could possibly be the schools security messing it up, possibly when it scans the network it doesnt like the screens??

Thank you very much for your help Really appreciate it

Offline utpb2010

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 09:00:15 PM »
Ok here is all the details of the setup...

WorkGroup for each is MAGICINFO
Model Name is SyncMaster460DXn
Firmware Version is   M-BVP46MWW-1009
Magic info version is Magicinfo pro 2503.0
OS IMAGE VERSION IS BVPWW-1006

Network is set to Obtain Ip address automatically on all screens...
EWF IS DISABLED...
System message is OFF
Set to Not UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY

GENERAL SETTINGS
Automatic Connection using Server name
Magicinfo
Refresh Time is OFF
Content Sync period DAILY
at 0600
One after the other
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??????